1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This dad isn't ready for his first kid's surgery

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, Dec 20, 2006.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Well, it's only for my baby son's ears, so it's really not that big of a deal. But just the fact that he's going to be out for 15 minutes or so sickens me. I don't know if I'll sleep tonight. Poor kiddo ... but at least he'll feel 100 percent better tomorrow, and will hopefully start sleeping through the night.

2. My daughter had to have some fine tuning done at about the same age. They're so little and everything at the hospital seems so big.
    I'm sure it'll be fine, king.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I felt the same way when my son had ear tubes installed. The thought of a kid that small getting knocked out is plain scary. In the end, it worked out well and saved the kid dozens of painful ear aches over a two- to three-year period. No question it was worthwhile.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Oh I have no doubt. But man FB, I was never in the hospital as a kid. My brother too. I had a couple soccer injuries and an appendectomy when I was 23, but I was Mr. Health growing up. This is all foreign to me.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My son had tubes put in at 13 months. We were nervous, of course, but he came through fine. We took him home at about 9 a.m., he was OK, and he even went back to day care that afternoon (yes, we're awful parents. But he loved day care).

And hasn't had an ear infection, or even hardly been sick, ever since.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm sure he'll be fine.

You, however, are likely to be a mess.

Just the way with little ones.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

King,

You'll be amazed at the resiliency kids show. He'll do fine.

Just relax and be there for queencreole, who may need some support herself.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

hey king: The boy broke his nose about 3 months ago, and they had to go in and reset it, and they had to put him out for a little bit........nervous as a whore in church from the time he went under, to the time he came out of it.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I feel for you, KC. You will be fine, though. Show strength and the wee man will feel it as well. :)

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My daughter has been put under general three times (at 8 months, 9 months and 10 months) for an MRI, CT Scan and a botox injection due to some spinal/neck issues. No fun. The hardest part is them not eating. She had some tummy issues each time for about an hour after waking up, but was totally fine a hour or so later.

One tip which may be too late -- find out if you can fill out all of the forms today so that you don't have to spend more time in the hospital pre-procedure than you need to.

11. shecky

shecky Member

My daughter had the ear thing done at 13 months. Worst part was handing her off to the nurse and seeing that terrified look on her face. Tears came quickly. A few hours later, she was home running around like nothing had happened.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would happily undergo surgery without anesthesia than deal with my kids having surgery...

Hang in there buddy... I know it's routine, but I'll still say a prayer...

Draft saved Draft deleted