1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This certainly took long enough

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10019/1029464-455.stm

About fucking time. Richard Baumhammers is set to be executed March 18, about 10 years after he murdered six people. He went around Pittsburgh shooting people on a hit list he made up to target minorities. The first victim was a Jewish woman who had lived next door to his parents his entire life.

I admit this one is a bit personal for me. I've known the sister of one of the victims for as long as I can remember. She was a close friend of my aunt, who passed away two years ago, and is one of the most decent people I know. I hope she can find some peace.

I'm sure somebody will have an anti-death penalty comment of some sort to make. Knock yourself out. I'm just glad they're finally going to kill the bastard.

2. So all the victims get to come back to life now?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Dumb.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

0 to 60 in one post. New league record.

5. Not dumb at all.

Revenge as the basis of criminal justice is dumb.

6. TheSportsPredictor

Incredibly dumb. Adds nothing.

7. So someone gets to start a thread saying "About fucking time" regarding the death penalty, and that's perfectly OK?

8. TheSportsPredictor

Sure. Sounds like the guy deserves it. Fuck that guy.

Your post is dumb, designed to piss people off, and adds nothing.

9. outofplace

Yup, it is. This dirtbag's fate was decided many years ago. My comment was directed at how ridiculously long it has taken to get the deed done.

And yes, your response was ridiculous. You want to argue the merits or failings of the death penalty, by all means, go for it. It is a legitimate debate. But I see nothing in your response that adds anything to a serious discussion. And I did admit up front that I am very biased in this case. He caused considerable pain to a dear friend of my family's. And this is not one of those cases where there is some risk that they got the wrong guy. None. It was him. There is no doubt. Fry the fucker (or whatever method they are going to use.)

10. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Waylon...why is it revenge? It's a punishment....like all convicted criminals are given. In his case the punishment was death.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Waylon, it's not about OK or not OK. Just pointing out that it took no time at all for this thread's jaw to drop off (few people will get that, but I don't give a fuck). Anyhow, it's a death-penalty thread, so I'll type my thoughts on the subject, which are especially fitting for this thread. I'm not a big fan of the death penalty. Seems too much like the state "playing God." It's hard for me to wrap my head around that in general. However, until I'm actually personally affected by a death-penalty case, I will not argue with the feelings of someone who has been.

12. outofplace

I appreciate that last bit, YGBFKM. It really does change the perspective a little.

I probably would have agreed with your opinion on the subject 10 years ago. I still think there should be eyewitnesses, physical evidence and a guilty plea before they allow it. There should be absolutely no doubt. That is the case here, or I wouldn't be comfortable at all no matter how much the whole thing pisses me off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.