1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Bill Simmons column was brought to you by Sore Winners Inc.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Nov 9, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So I'm guessing you do not like any of the Die Hards, Indiana Jones, James Bond or Jason Bourne flicks either?

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Those films basically demand suspension of disbelief from the outset -- it's standard in action films. The hero will be shot at 300 times, and at worst he'll get one bullet in the shoulder. Shawshank's not an action film, and it doesn't turn outrageously implausible until the ridiculous ending. Big difference.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The same about Seinfeld? Really? Is it just Seinfeld the comedian or Seinfeld as himself on his show?

4. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

People really get worked up about Shawshank. I don't get it. What claptrap.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

As I say on every Simmons thread - and will continue to say, to keep my copyright operative - Bill Simmons is the Dane Cook of sportswriting.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Who's Dane Cook?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Except I doubt he has gotten into Jessica Alba's pants (which Mr. Cook has, if the rumors are to be believed).

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

He's the Bill Simmons of stand-up comics.

9. Dignan

Dignan Guest

This wasn't one of his better efforts, but I'm still a fan of Simmons' work.

Maybe more so after reading some of the catty remarks in this thread. Me-fucking-ow.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The Ewing Theory isn't even correct. Some dumbass decides teams are better without Patrick Ewing than with? Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure. Stupidity of that level hasn't been advanced since people thought the earth was flat. The most beautiful thing about this stupidity is that it was created based on UConn after Donyell Marshall, not on Patrick Ewing.

It actually should be named The Dale Murphy Theory. Why? Poor Dale Murphy ...

... played for Atlanta from 1976-1990, becoming the face of the franchise. The Braves won the division just once and were swept in the playoffs in that appearance. He was traded to the Phillies in 1990. In 1991, the Braves won their first of 14 straight division titles.

... played for Philly from 1990-1992. In 1993 the Phils made the World Series.

... played for Colorado in 1993. Two seasons later the Rockies made the playoffs for the only time in franchise history until this year.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So you're saying he's an extremely successful, highly entertaining, million-CD and -DVD selling media superstar?

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sure.

And Hall and Oats will be opening for the Zepplin reunion.

Draft saved Draft deleted