1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This ain't Athens no more: Wrestling gone from Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Even though they voted to drop it I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the IOC turned around and voted it back in when the choose the two sports to add in May. They'll be picking two from this list:

Wrestling
    Baseball/Softball
    Climbing
    Karate
    Fucking Squash
    Roller Sports
    Wakeboarding
    Wushu

2. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

The direction the Olympics seem headed in, I predict wrestling will simply re-emerge under the leadership of this guy...

[​IMG]

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

All good ideas, but what do you do when a rassler from Parts Unknown wins the gold? Play the IOC theme?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I ask this in all humble ignorance. WTF is Wushu?

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I think boxing was in big trouble after Seoul, but they brought in the computerized scoring - and eventually women - and that helped save it.

The US amateur boxing program may be a long way from its glory days of Montreal and LA but boxing is still a big deal globally, but if there is any sport that can skull fuck itself out of the Olympics it will be boxing.

6. Armchair_QB

And in case anyone is wondering what the holy fuck wushu is: http://www.iwuf.org/index.asp

Apparently it's like gymnastics with weapons and China is really good at it.

7. Inky_Wretch

I think the wushu trying to get into the Olympics was the full-contact martial art, not the weapons forms. But I could be wrong.

8. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

If people want to make subtle sexual references and jokes, go right ahead. The sport is incredible in its physical and mental commitment, its camaraderie, its development of young men and women. Maybe it holds a higher place in my mind because I wrestled for two years, covered it for four more and live a half-mile from one of the great high school programs in the country (St. Edward, Lakewood, Ohio), but no high school sport comes close to the all-around positive development.

You a 103-pound freshman too small for football? You can wrestle. You a 275-pound behemoth who wants to lose a spare tire? You can wrestle. You want to just plain compete? You can wrestle. It's a perfect mix of brains and brawn, like chess on a mat. You're entitled to your opinion, but when you blindly bash anything — a person, a sport, an idea, an ideal — you really only bash yourself.

If this does affect high school and college programs, and the number across the country decreases, then this a tragedy. It really is.

9. Armchair_QB

Could be. That link is what I got when I googled International Wushu Federation

10. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Still, some of the wrestling photos I saw back in the day that I cringed when seeing it was also our best available art.....too many were just begging for embarrassing situations.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I agree wholeheartedly.

I was one of those 98 lb. sophomores who was too small for football (was an 88 lb wingback in frosh football; was smart enough and athletic enough to bring in plays) and got in the best shape of my life wrestling.

Wrestling was the most intense 6 mins of my life. On the mat, just the opponent and I; knowing I could get my arm snapped off or leg broken at any time. It was all about quickness and leverage.

You can make all the innuendo/jokes you want but I know that the jokers never went out on the mat. (I think the problem stems from the view of Pro Wrestling which is nothing like actual amateur wrestling.)

This is a damn shame.

12. Inky_Wretch

Done!

‏@the_ironsheik
    You see the legend you know I break the ICO back make them humble. Go fuck the Badminton and the walking they are not sports like wrestling

Draft saved Draft deleted