1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thirteen Years ago today...October 23, 1993

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Oct 23, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

...you raided the fridge because you had a raging case of the munchies? :D

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

From second-hand smoke, yes. I don't drink, much less smoke. I'm a good boy like that. Oh, and I didn't raid the fridge that night, but McDonald's never tasted so good. ;D

3. Putting aside my philly bias for a moment, I really thought the 93 phillies were a team of destiny. Having seen so many improbable wins that season I just thought nobody was going to beat them. They epitomized the city and were probably more loved than the 80 phils and 83 sixers combined.

By the way, on a random note, i think i read that something like 10 phillies went through divorces that season....

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

That may be true, but to me that doesn't mean shit if you haven't got a World Series ring to back it up and you're in a city where two championships were still relatively fresh in memory.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And the corollary: if it didn't happen in the U.S., it doesn't matter. :)

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I was working the desk that night, my part-time position with the local big paper that I had during my college years, and saw it on TV. That was one great thing about that job: We had a TV with cable and while I had to work nights, I never missed much of anything sports related. I was always a bit distracted, but if something big happened I was there to see it.

Anyway, there was a copy editor there who was known for his dry sense of humor, and he was a baseball fan, like pretty much all of us there, but he decided to take a little dig to the segment out there who didn't like the sport as much as the rest of us. As Carter rounded the bases excitedly and set off the celebration and we were all watching the resulting hoopla, he kept saying rather sarcastically, "God, baseball is so boring!"

8. And I heard it on AFR in the UAE.
    Very weird.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I was at a bar drinking and watching it on TV when it happened. Come to think of it was doing the same thing during Game 6 in 85, Game 6 in 86 and Game 6 in 91 too.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I was at the Jersey Giant on Front Street in Toronto, not far from the official hotel of the SportsJournalists.com summer outing. The first time I've ever hugged a complete stranger.

11. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

Ditto on that. I was having an unusually good day at work until I clicked on this. </another phanboy looser>

Draft saved Draft deleted