1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thinking of buying a hybrid -- discuss

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 18, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: Thinking of bying a hybrid -- discuss

I've always liked the idea of an Escape/Highlander or something like that -- we go into the snow/mountains often enough that the 4WD is a nice option. Doesn't look like they get anywhere near Prius mileage, but it would still be a huge upgrade in that area over what we're driving now.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Skinny suits are back in vogue because of Prius drivers.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The right outfit for driving a Prius would seem to be no-iron khakis and a pair of New Balance walking shoes.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No shirt?

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I wish I had time to pull up the hybrid thread I started when we bought our first in 2003. Boom and others told me I'd never see the savings on gas because there's no way gas prices would stay at 3.00 a gallon. Never mind the tax breaks we got back then, which have since been sunsetted.

Both our cars are hybrids, and the thing I like the best is the low emissions.

Hey Creo, fuck you and the fuckin' gas guzzler Jeep you rode in on.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

He was right about gas prices. About $4 here.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

We actually test drove one for shits and giggles 2 months ago, cause we were shopping for a car anyhow and a dealer we went to had a Toyota dealership down the road. So we hopped in a Prius. 1) It was the least fun thing I have ever driven, and I am not a car guy, so for me to even think that, you know it had to be boring, somewhat mushy handling. 2) The thing on the dash that tells you how efficiently you are driving it clued me into the problem with that car. In order to get super duper gas mileage, you have to drive in a way that most people don't -- coasting around, coasting into stop lights, not accelerating out of them.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

The motivation to buy a hybrid - or a plug-in electric vehicle for that matter - usually stems from a feeling that it would be a socially beneficial thing to do. If that is your motivation, buy a hybrid because it will make you feel good about what you did with regard to your motoring practices over the next several years.

A car serves only two purposes:

1. It transports people and "stuff" from Point A to Point B

2. It provides a sense of comfort - physical and psychological - for the owner/driver.

If owning a hybrid makes you feel comfortable, do it. A hybrid is a much more sensible and practical option than a plug-in electric car for the vast majority of folks.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not all hybrids are dull.

www.porsche.com/usa/models/panamera/panamera-s-hybrid/

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Reason I'm thinking of getting it is my commute is about to change big time so I'll be doing a lot more freeway driving and even more 500-mile road trips.

So you guys are telling me that I won't save any money on gas? Really? Even with gas prices what they are now?

I'm also not a "car guy" so I don't particularly care about being cool or feeling powerful or anything. I also don't care about the environment particularly. I just wanna save money.

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Hybrids get better city mileage than highway. You're better off just buying a regular Civic or Elantra or something.

Draft saved Draft deleted