1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

thinking about getting into the business...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jpmallari32, Jan 25, 2009.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

What's so dangerous about trying something you think you'd be interested in at 18? How many people here had their life figured out at that age? My guess is none. How many of us, in hindsight, wish we had tried more things when we were younger if for nothing else but to expand our view of the world? My guess is every single one of us.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

But not something that will negatively impact my ability to do anything else. If he goes into journalism, and he's out in two years, then he's going to be 6 years behind anyone in any other career.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

What kind of math is that?

My larger point is that because hardly any of us figure out what we want to do so young, it's not the end of the world to pursue a given interest at 18 because you have plenty of time to change directions.

I actually think it would serve most young adults if they didn't even attend college for a couple three years after high school, but that's an argument for a different thread. Hell, I didn't even go to college until I was 22, and look how I ... Ok, bad example.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Pallister, I think my suggestion is the only responsible suggestion to youths today. Major in something with a future, take a couple writing courses and if you have the itch, prepare yourself to be a citizen journalist in your spare time. If he/she is a good citizen journalist/blogger, well then get into it full time if the business changes to where there are actual full time jobs available.
    To go to J-school now is asinine, dreams be darned.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

4 years college + 2 years journalism = 6 years behind.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Ya, just what this country needs, a generation of young adults too afraid to do anything but take the safest road possible.

7. Fredrick

Pallister what girl pointed out is it could be six years wasted of time and money. If our publishers could provide a shred of hope, then yes go for your dreams. What's improper about suggesting kids get in a good major and take a couple writing courses so they can be citizen journalists to scratch the itch. If the business turns around, then they are set.

8. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Rule number one: Love sports, but love writing more. This is not about sports. You could be writing about rocks for all that it matters. You must absolutely, positively need to write. It must be a part of you.

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Be sure you actually like writing, not just sports.

10. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

I was the next Walter Cronkite at 18. Then I realized I looked and sounded less like Walter Cronkite and more like Drew Carey.

Many of us have ideas of what we want at 18, but often we have little knowledge of how to obtain it, or even how to begin.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Exactly. When you're 18, might as well explore a few different options. NO ONE knows exactly what they want to do when they're 18.

12. Fredrick

Pallister you must have more confidence in management than I do. Dreams are great, but if your dreams involve the dumbasses running newspapers today, I think those dreams will be squashed 99 percent of the time. Yes I agree there's a one percent chance this kid would be making a smart move by entering J-school.

Draft saved Draft deleted