1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Think west, young (and old) men (and women)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Oct 13, 2006.

1. If anyone doesn't know who Otis Chandler is, Google him and read about how he drove the L.A. Times to greatness, then watched it fall all around him after he left.

Chandler was probably the last Rock God of Journalism. And a damn good man at that.

He would shit his pants over how the Chicago Tribune is handling the Times, and maybe that's what finally killed him off. A fascinating guy, though. Check out Otis Chandler, then ask your boss to define integrity as he/she sees it, and then go compare your notes.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Agreed.

3. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Just finished reading a biography of Otis Chandler called "Privileged Son." The last few chapters about the Times after he left were nauseating. A beacon of journalistic integrity laid low by family infighting and greed.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The fallout from this will spread a long way, I'm sure.

A bunch of Einsteins at TribCo, I see.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, I read that, too...I had more personal interest, but still thought it was a very good read.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Very well done.

So was "Privileged Son," although it kind of gave short-shrift to Norman Chandler. As far as looking into what made the paper great and getting into Otis's head, a great read.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I didn't know the Los Angeles Times was a big fan of Rush's "Power Windows" album.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

The name was changed. Easy...
    After the first day, it became the "Spring Street Project."

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

In an effort to be reciprocal, the New York Times is starting a Hollywood Project.

Draft saved Draft deleted