1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Think twice before you order that next hot dog at Angel Stadium

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Aug 6, 2007.

1. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

No more "SLIME IN THE ICEBOX?" Wow. That sucks. I spent a weekend in College Station a couple years ago and caught that - one of the funniest things I've ever seen on local TV.

2. dammit. I grew up watching Marvin and loved his Slime In the Ice Machine reports. RIP.

although I always thought he looked like a 127-year old guy. and this was back in 1986.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Headed there tonight for Angels-Sox... which explains why we're eating at the Carl's Jr. outside Angels Stadium.

Actually, my wife -- who grew up five minutes from Angels Stadium -- brought up an interesting point why Angels Stadium has 116 violations and the two other SoCal parks have about 9 between them. The Santa Ana River (which, in reality, is a dry creek bed in most parts) runs right past the park.

Having walked parts of it, I can tell you it's the home of many critters. Now, how they get from there to your Aramark stand along the first-base line, I have no idea.

But it's a reason to consider.

4. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

When I moved to Houston in '80, I thought he was doing some kind of parody. Like Saturday Night Live. He closed each report with, "MARVIN ZINDLER, EEEEEYEEEWITTTTNESSSSS NEWSSSS!" Then they'd go back to the stiffs on the set.

"Thank you Marvin."

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They probably arrive by "fright" train, so no telling what gets into them.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

True story:

I'm in eighth Grade and at one of my first ball games at Tiger Stadium. My dad gives me some money for a hotdog from the vendor who roams the stands.

This is almost 20 years ago, now. It's when the vendors sold the dogs and buns out of the steel steamers; hotdogs on one side, buns on the other and he puts the dog in the bun in front of the customer.

So, I ask for one dog. He puts it in the bun, I let it roll out onto the step. He grabs another from the steamer with his tongs. Puts it in my bun. And then, HE THROWS THE ONE FROM THE GROUND BACK INTO THE STEAMER!! Obviously, he sold it to someone else.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Finding out about things like "slime in the ice machine" is why this site must never die.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Fen, he really was a comical figure. Incredibly ugly suits were a trademark for many years.

[​IMG]

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Marvin literally did a SLIME IN THE ICE MACHINE segment from his deathbed. He was in the hospital in his PJs.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Why have I never heard of Marvin before... this is too funny.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Slappy, when I get home tonight, I'll see if I can't find video of him.

Draft saved Draft deleted