1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Think PR is safe from job cuts? Not so fast

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, Mar 20, 2008.

1. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

Wow, that sucks. Just another reason to cheer against that smug Shanahan and Bowlen. Go anyone who plays the Broncos this year! Beat their a$%^&!

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Isn't Bowlen the one driving the train to renogiatiate the labor deal because he's short on cashflow?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yes. The Broncos are having cashflow problems. That is so rinky-dink, though. The guy owns a $1 billion asset. If the cash flow that comes with that is unmanageable for him, perhaps he should sell, or sit down and put himself on a more realistic budget.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Did the Broncos explain who was going to handle PR for them? I'm assuming this guy won't be replaced.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Broncos recently let their GM go, maybe these were his hires and Shanahan wanted people more loyal to him. Show of hands on how this makes the Broncos better than they were last year?

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

We've discussed it here before: most pro teams are ADDING in-house content, so they can get their propaganda message directly to the fans without those pesky media types getting in the way. That makes this move more than a little bizarre.

Don't know any of the people involved, of course, but I always thought Denver's media website was one of the best in the league. The fans on their message board are up in arms about losing Mason, who put a ton of work into the interactive part of the site. A sample:
    Hope everyone lands on their feet. Like the vast majority of the people in the far-too-frequent slash-and-burn threads on this board, they deserved better.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Like I said, I don't know anything about this particular situation. My post was more in a general sense, about PR jobs in an era of shrinking mainstream media. Just a thought I had.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bookmark.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Meanwhile ...

Shanahan and his wife sold their home in Cherry Hills for $16 million and are breaking ground on a new place.

Rumor is the new place will be 30,000 square feet and apparently the land was formerly owned by Janet Elway, who, it seems got it as part of the divorce settlement from John.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/mar/20/parker-dream-house-shanny/

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Maybe the out of work folks can get together and write a book about the team?

I cannot believe that an NFL team is laying off employees. This team has one of the longest season ticket waiting lists, right? Are they not selling out anymore? I just cannot understand this. It also sends all the wrong messages to fans and players.

Is this team publicly traded on the stock market? Is there some bottom line they need to keep?

When you are throwing millions at one player, how can laying off a few PR people make a difference?

Wait until a true media circus hits the team again (remember Reeves vs Elway?). Trust me, they will want these employees back.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Waiting list is capped at 25,000 I believe. Every game has been sold out since 1970.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nobody ever said people in denver were smart.

Draft saved Draft deleted