1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Think Newspapers are cheap?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Mar 28, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Welcome to Circuit City, where the chain is cutting 3,400 jobs -- then offering to hire people back at a cheaper rate...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aw.zhHEzMpZU&refer=home

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

How is this legal?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why isn't it legal? No unions!

4. boots

boots New Member

There will be consequences and repercussions for sure. If CC can do this. You can bet the Podunk Journal can do it too. LET'S BE WORRIED OUT THERE.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This blows... since I shop at Circuit City and avoid the clusterf*%# that is Best Buy and it's abominable "customer service" as much as humanely possible.

Outside of Sears, I've never been in a retail establishment that cares less about you and isn't shy about advertising it than BB. Where I live, BB and CC are across the street from each other and not only does CC have better prices on big items like XM receivers and the like, but their installation is cheaper and easier to get in for.

This proves yet another big business entity is taking the short-sighted path and refusing to do well by doing good. :(

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Guess Circuit City employees who just their jobs won't be singing The Cars' "Just What I Needed" tonight.

7. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

Tee-hee. What makes you think we're not already doing it? ;D ;D

One of my favorite tricks: Lay off x number of people, 60 or 90 days later, hire some of them back in newly created "positions," at base-scale pay, and also without any accumulated vacation time, sick leave, etc. etc. Oh of course you also have to wait 90 days to requalify for health coverage too.

Twenty years of seniority? Tough shit, rookie.

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Why anyone shops at these places now is beyond me. There's nothing in Circuit City, Best Buy or any other store that you can't get online 20 percent cheaper.

9. boots

boots New Member

some people don't have computers at home or carry credit cards.

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I'm neither pro- nor anti-union, but when I read something like this, I'm glad I have one. They are foolproof, especially those representing newspapers, but at least they help.

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I have exactly ZERO credit cards. I was TERRIBLE with two of them in college. My credit rating (thanks in part to roommates, too) is horrible.

I had to pay cash for a fucking engagement ring.

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I don't have a credit card -- for no other reason than my wife and I chose not to have one. But I have a debit card, and that works just the same. If there's money in the bank, you can buy shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted