1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Think gas prices are high now? Wait until 2010

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, May 22, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

There's not a single existing alternative fuel that can either be (a) harnessed in time to save us from the coming oil crash or (b) adaptable to a large-scale system the way gasoline is available on every street corner right now.

2. So we should just keep driving over the cliff and let future generations clean up the mess?

3. FWIW, the NY Times did a gas prices story today, a day after one in the Washington Post.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/24/business/24gas.html?hp

For years, it was not clear whether rising prices would ever prompt Americans to use less gas. But a combination of record prices, the slowing economy and a tight credit market have beaten consumers down.

. . .“The psychology has changed,” said Sara Johnson, an economist at Global Insight. “People have recognized that prices are not going down and are adapting to higher energy costs. It’s a capitulation.

4. TheSportsPredictor

Your question doesn't relate to anything I posted.

5. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Exactly. It's too late.

We've been warned about a potential oil crisis for decades, and we ignored the problem.

There is no magic solution out there. It's going to suck for a long time before things get better and we better accept it.

EDIT: The thing I might be underestimating is the push for new technology out of necessity and consumer needs. I just think of the advances of cell phones adn MP3 players over the last decade. If the smartest, brightest people get started on finding a different fuel source, there's a chance things could happen a lot faster. But I doubt it.

6. I was referring to the politicians and people in power, not you, since that seems the be their course of action right now for the dilemmas you posit.

7. TheSportsPredictor

Things need to change. But none of the changes will stave off the impending oil crash.

8. Right. Point granted. I'm saying that we need to start working to set things straight for the people who come after us, though. And that would be a great legacy.

9. TheSportsPredictor

The economy will be crippled first, then there will be mass die-offs of people. The U.S. might very well become fractured into mini-countries.

Problem is, we're very dependent on oil to even pursue the alternative fuels. Once the oil flame burns out, our ability to find alternative fuels vanishes as well.

10. Why "mass die-offs of people"?

11. TheSportsPredictor

Where are you going to get your food from?

12. Shoot it.

Draft saved Draft deleted