1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Think gas prices are high now? Wait until 2010

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, May 22, 2008.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'm sure our sportswriter salaries will increase accordingly.

HA!

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Yes, but that's because our salaries will go up $1.20 an hour while we're expected to write the stories, take the photos, layout the pages, print the pages, deliver the newspaper to customers, take out their trash, tell them they make a wonderful beef stew, then go back to the office and change the lightbulbs, fill the vending machines, answer the phones, sell ads, evaluate distribution and come up with cost-cutting ways of doing more with less.

But that $1.20 extra? Boy, that's going to be sweet.

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I'd love 30 cents a mile! We have this stupid sliding scale based on how high the price of gas is but it doesn't account for anything over $2.70 and caps out at 23 cents.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There's going to be a panic in this country that you only read about in the books. All this is just the rumble of the thunder.

Go to a bar and keep your ear open, listen to the utter dissatisfaction and unhappiness.

5. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

Food/energy shortages, which could lead to riots and looting, scare the shit out of us grocers.

I plan on buying another shotgun and a shitload of rounds sometime in the next year. Realistically, we know we'll lose the store in the event of a real panic.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

That's interesting. Have you actually worked out plans for such events, Rex?

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Drill, drill, drill. Burn, burn, burn more gas. Roast the whales, burn down the forests, fill the oceans with crude. Drive all the way to the bank in your 2-MPG Super Mongo Hummer.

It's good for the economy, and it's good for America. [/Oilpublican Party platform]

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Look, you can argue that the cost of drilling in the Alaskan wilderness will outweigh its benefits.
    That's a defensible position.
    But it's a bit silly to keep making the case that finding more oil in America wouldn't help ease the problem of the U.S. having to import too much oil. It makes no sense. How much it will bring down the cost is impossible to determine. It's a guess, just like this fellow predicting $10 gas.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I have a question for all of the people who don't think we should drill for oil in places we know it's available.

What is your alternative to fixing the problem?

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Seriously, there has to be an alternative energy source. I'm starting to think in a conspiracy theory kind of way that the government is hiding these alternatives from us.

I've said it before, the combustible engine and cars were invented with as little technology as possible. Now, we have more technology than ever before, we can clone sheep — and humans! — but can't build a car that runs on water, electricity, solar power, whatever.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

build cars that run on something other than oil to save the limited oil supplies for heating and making plastic.

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I know. It astounds me that nothing has been invented. I don't understand it.

Draft saved Draft deleted