1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things you see that blow your mind: The restaurant edition

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Jun 7, 2009.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't pay crap like that a second thought. Won't let myself be paralyzed by overthinking.

2. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Oh. Wow.

3. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

I prefer not to know. But now that I've read this thread, dammit, I know. Of course, that's not entirely true. I knew before ... I worked at McDonald's and a couple of pizza joints. I think I've blocked all that stuff from memory ... at least until now.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Oh, and if you ever want to enjoy yourself in a restaurant again, never see the movie Waiting. Oh my god, I don't think I hate in a restaurant for a good month after seeing that cinematic wonder.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Back when I was in high school I resembled that remark.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I have low expectations of any restaurant that has a salad bar. The only thing worse are buffets and the bottom of the "fancy sit down restaurant" category is all you can eat buffets.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

You cannot be serious. Ruby Tuesday's is the worst chain restaurant in American history. Waffle House is Morton's compared to Ruby Tuesday's.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Dude, Ruby Tuesday (no 's) isn't earth-shattering. But their fucking crab cakes are the best I've had in a chain. Not saying much, I know, but little filler and deLICIous.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

What kills me is the places in NY like Smiler's (and a million or so others) that have a huge buffet thing so you can fill up a styrofoam container and get three pounds of lunch to go.

It's everything -- chicken, ribs, side dishes, fruit, salads.

That stuff is out there forever, and people buy it and presumably eat it, even though some of it looks petrified. You go in there at 3 a.m. and it's still out there from noon, and someone who's drunk on their ass is loading up a styrofoam box with congealed mac 'n' cheese.

10. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

In my freshman year of college, my buddy came back from his job at a grocery store with a trash bag full of fried chicken. We set it on the only table in our apartment an nacked away while playing video games. It stayed there for a week. I ate out of it every day. After all, microwaving kills the germs, right?

Looking back on it, I don't fear botulism because I survived that.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Can't remember a restaurant story that grossed me out, but I won't forget what happened while working the grocery store deli as a high school senior.

I needed some roast beef. The case was all but empty, so I went back to the cooler and got a fresh hunk. Meat never met the blade, though, because it slipped out of the plastic casing and right in the trash can.

Or so I thought.

Rather than chuck the beef and rip me a new one, the deli's assistant manager simply pulled it out of the garbage. She rinsed it in the sink for what couldn't have been more than 10 seconds and made me cut it, no questions asked.

I spent the rest of the shift talking people out of trying the roast beef.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Those places are disgusting. Some of the ancient food you see in there late at night ... I don't think I've ever been drunk enough to eat that.

Draft saved Draft deleted