1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things to do in Orlando

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Aug 31, 2009.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

If you're in it for the rides, Universal is a disappointment. Next door Islands of Adventure is much better.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I haven't been there but everyone I know who has said Disney's Animal Kingdom is very cool.

3. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

if you want to get off the beaten path for dinner, there's a nice string of vietnamese restaurants on colonial drive. i can vouch for vinh's.

the thornton park area of town has a few decent restaurants -- city fish and shari, a sushi place. citrus is a nice (can be expensive) -- the duck tostados and blue corn fish tacos appetizers are excellent and are almost a meal itself.

to echo ace's point, vega's cafe on colonial -- not far from the vietnamese restaurants -- serves a tasty cuban sandwich. i've only been for lunch and don't know about dinner hours.

there's also a couple of decent outlet malls south of orlando, right off i-4.

a rental car is a must if you want to do some of the things mentioned in this thread.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Can also depend on the size/age of the family. I went with the wife and 3-year-old in the spring, we stayed at Marriott Village (duh, I'm a sportswriter) and did three days at Disney. Didn't have a car, just using the hotel-to-park shuttles, and by the time we got back every night we only had energy for a food court pizza. The exotic restaurants would have been lost on the kid. With more kids and/or older kids, I'd get a car and explore more.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think rentals are pretty cheap in Orlando. But I agree that if you are staying at or near Universal or Disney and are doing the parks, you are generally pretty beat at the end of the day.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

We rented a Mustang for the week. Cost us roughly $200.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Correct. Only ride worth admission at Universal Studios is The Simpsons, and maybe The Mummy.

8. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

And only a short car ride away in Kissimmee, Florida:

http://www.medievaltimes.com/

I laughed my ever-loving ass off at this.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't get me started on those places.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

No kids, just me and her.
    I've been advocating for a rental car because of the flexibility it offers and, more importantly, her work will pay for it.
    Get in Wednesday afternoon will decompress, and then look for something to do.
    Thursday and Friday are for sure at Universal. Saturday is more of a question, but possibly more at Universal. Sunday we move from the Hampton to the resort where she is conferencing. Monday morning I fly back and she stays the week for a work conference.
    One of the travel books she has been studying says to watch the movies the rides are based on. Helps you enjoy the experience or some such nonsense. Regardless, the Simpsons movie is set to record on the Tivo.

I can also say that no way in hell do I go to a Medieval Times.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Don't sleep on those Disney Discount places you'll see ever half mile, either. You definitely get a decent discount on tickets for just about everything. We did the water park and went to one of those discount places. Saved like $10 a ticket.

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

If you go to Universal, make sure to purchase the meal deal. It saves you a ton of money.

Also, as far as Universal is concerned, if you're a big movie fan, you'll enjoy it. The Mummy ride is pretty solid and the Simpsons ride was a hell of a lot better than I thought it would be.

As for other things to do in Orlando, I found that the outlets were a pretty big disappointment in terms of shopping but get a rental car and just go exploring. There's a ton of stuff out there, you're bound to accidentally find something incredible.

Draft saved Draft deleted