1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things to do in Orlando

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Aug 31, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Going to Orlando for some vacation, the day after Labor Day.
    Any suggestions from the peanut gallery on places to eat or things to do?
    Have tickets for Universal Studios and they'll be good for the week, but after the holiday they close by 6 p.m. so need evening ideas.
    Has anyone been to Universal recently? I was wondering about the "must do" rides*?

And does anyone think we'll need a rental car to get around? The plan isn't to get one, but that could change.

* I know the best ride is on your mustache, so no need to repeat it.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Yes, you will probably need a rental car to get around in Orlando. The mass transit in the area isn't that good. I could be wrong, but with school restarting, traffic congestion should be less in the park areas.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

City Walk has some good touristy places to eat: NBA Cafe, NASCAR Cafe, Hard Rock, etc.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Unless you're planning on staying at Disney the whole time, get a rental car.

Lots of things to do on International Blvd. Big water park there and plenty of bars and restaurants.

We vacationed in Orlando this summer and spent a couple nights at Universal, but only the CityWalk for the restaurants, shopping, etc.. Love Margaritaville. The NBA Store there is pretty cool, too. Otherwise, the wife and I spent most of our time at the pools.

We also drove the 45 min or so and spent an afternoon at Cocoa Beach. Easy drive. Plus, the space stuff is over that way, too.

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

They have these mouse-eared theme parks down there, I've heard. Their names are escaping me ... :)

RB

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Itchy and Scratchyland?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you are getting off the tourist beaten path, I would look to eat at a Cuban restaurant. Hard to find bad Cuban food, and its usually a great value.

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

No no, Baron. That is in LA. This place is Itchy and Scratchy WORLD.

RB

9. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Downtown Disney is nice, too. You can take in Cirque de soleil, House of Blues, Rainforest Cafe. Also, try Church Street Station in downtown Orlando. You will definitely need a rental car, though.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I pre-gamed before Game 4 of the Finals on Wall Street downtown. Lots and lots of good bars.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Cirque de soleil is great, but it's about $90 a ticket.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Church Street Station is a fun area to be. My wife and I enjoyed it on our honeymoon.

Draft saved Draft deleted