1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things to Do in Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mayfly, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yeah, I stand corrected. I think I visited there once, but my memory is hazy. I think it was OK. But only visit the rest if you're into stretch marks and roast beef.

2. joe

joe Active Member

Schlitz, the beer that made Milwaukee famous.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Damn, this was about 14 or 15 years ago, I think. The Brewers were still in the AL and it was at County Stadium. A bunch of us decided to head up to Milwaukee for a Yankees/Brewers series from Chicago. It was also the weekend when several hundred thousand bikers converged on Milwaukee for some Harley Davidson anniversary. They were everywhere. We went to the Miller Tour when we got up there, and I have to admit, there is nothing more fun than doing a brewery tour with a bunch of scruffy, hard core bikers--they were the only other ones on the tour. The bikers were funny and were even cool to the women I was with, who were mostly prissy midwestern girls. Then at the ballgames, County Stadium, which was usually empty was filled--with bikers. So the baseball crowd was us (a bunch of whitebread weenies), Bernie Brewer and about 30,000 bikers.

4. I'll third the Balestreri's on 68th and Wells. And I'll second the pizza and the eggplant.

If you like steak, there's a place called the 5 O'Clock Club that's excellent. I can't remember the street it's on, but it's fairly close to the ballpark, as is Balestreri's, whose location on Bluemound is even closer to the ballpark.

Karl Ratzch's downtown is the place for German food.

And there's a bar on Howell Avenue near the airport that's excellent. Think it's called the Landmark Inn or some such thing.

Milwaukee is a fantastic city. Enjoy.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Bud Selig likes to hang out at Gillies' Custard on 76th and Bluemound.

The custard is good at least.

If you're in town on a Friday night, you can't go wrong with fish fry.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

5 O'Clock Club is on 24th and State ... used to be called Coerpers, many still call it that.

Yep, Landmark 1875 Inn is great.... 40+ beers on tap, mostly micros. Drink them all (not in one sitting) and you get a free ceramic stein. It's next to a small strip club ... definitely not the best, but not the worst either.

7. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Not such a good neighborhood. Wouldn't advise going there after dark.

As far as steak places, there are now many new ones downtown. The Milwaukee St. corridor right near Cathedral Square is where all the hip new restaurants are.

And as luck would have it, the JS just released its top 30 restaurants list today.

http://www2.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=616586

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

They have a guarded parking lot ... tip the guard $5-10 and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

9. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Yeah, but there are other better places in nicer neighborhoods where you don't have to worry about that. Try Carnivor or Yanni's downtown, or Mr. B's out in Brookfield instead.

10. If you find any brain cells lying around Brady Street, they're mine.
    Jim Hegarty's -- 12th and Wells -- is the last great Marquette bar, FWIW.
    I also second Saz's and the Ale House.
    There will also be some kind of festival going on at the Maier Fairgrounds.
    I used to live at 24th and State.

11. blueview

blueview Member

Tailgate, Miller Park-style:

[​IMG]

12. ruhroh

ruhroh New Member

Any good places to play golf near (30 miles or so) of the Park?

Draft saved Draft deleted