1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things to do in London

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TyWebb, May 18, 2017.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Traveling with my family across the pond for a week. We have plenty of tours lined up to knock out some of the more tourist-y stuff - monarchy, Stonehenge, general tour of the city, etc. I'm looking for things to do outside of that. I'm particularly interested in breweries, distilleries and good shows.

Anybody have any tips?

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Fish and chips
    Drink a pint
    Call someone 'guvnuh'

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

London is just an amazing city to explore. St. James Park is a cool spot to walk around and it's right next to Buckingham palace

The Globe Theatre still does Shakespeare plays.

Fullers brewery is in London and I believe they do tours. Good beer.

If you want to see the changing of the guard, get there early. The area in front of the palace gets packed and finding a spot to actually see anything is hard.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

When are you going?
    you can probably get tix for a Jaguars game if you're there during NFL season.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Actually heading out on Saturday, getting back the next Sunday.

I'm not sure I'd watch the Jaguars if they were playing in my backyard, however.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Just to borrow the thread a bit, I'm stuck in London on a stopover with a bunch of kids from 9:00 pm to 8:00 am. Anything I can do other than just get a hotel room?

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm going to London in the fall and it hadn't occurred to me to try to see an NFL game. Do I want to waste valuable London time watching the Vikings-Browns, though?

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've never visited London or anyplace else in England.
    I had a long layover once. I took the train from Heathrow to Trafalgar Square and walked down through St. James Park. Walked to Buckingham and walked back to Trafalgar, looked at 10 Downing on the way.
    That was it. Literally looked at a couple places and kept walking.

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Hire security. Seriously, no, there's nothing you would want to do in that time period.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Can't help you with the three things you list, but I have to put a plug in for St. Paul's Cathedral. Well worth a visit. Harrods' food hall is also worth seeing.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

You can hit the big spots in Central London in about three hours. St. Paul's Cathedral, Buckingham Palace, the Tower, etc. with one tube ride in the middle. It was a blur, and I was sober.

Draft saved Draft deleted