1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things That Should Not Be Purple

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

This is a bit of a cross thread & I'm admittedly going to the game, but this is.....well, silly.

Lighten up, folks. Debacle? Seriously?? It's going to be what it's supposed to be. Fun. Is it goofy that they're going to have to play "losers walk"? Yep....but who actually cares?

It's a chance for the kids (which is what they are) to play some place unique. The event itself.....from the bars surrounding the park, to the Illini alums scooping up the rooftop locations, to NU transporting Wildcat alley to Wrigleyville, to Gameday being on site....it should be a hoot.

Relax. Enjoy the show....

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/sports/mlb/cubs/apx-ncaa-football-chicago-cubs-wrigley-field-northwestern--illinois
    This is getting ugly. Finger-pointing all over the place.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What the Cubs didn't say is that they originally laid out the field to be 100 feet long instead of yards and there was plenty of room!

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Last football game at Wrigley?

I would think so.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

MORE BREAKING NEWS: Defensive lines to count to 5 Mississippi. Offense must declare "kick or keep" on 4th down. Check Check Double Check.

Thanks to Luke Stuckmeyer of Comcast Chicago for the post.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Baseball players have a warning track and aren't going full speed with another player draped all over them, which makes it hard to stop.

More importantly, if Kosuke Fukudome gets hurt running into the outfield wall his parents aren't going to sue the Cubs.

If Nate Scheelhaase breaks his neck barreling into a brick wall that is only 24 inches behind the back of the end zone, NU, UI and the Big 10 are going to hear from Mr. and Mrs. Scheelhaases' lawyer.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Also purple, but just noses and toes from the frigid cold:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/sports/wrigley-field-purple-northwestern-university-illinois-game-football-team-excited-20101119

They must have lost all their players to injuries from running into the walls.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ha!

Who's gonna be shirts and who's gonna be skins?

10. Armchair_QB

I will take this moment to point out that Crane Kenney is a fucking idiot so I'm not surprised he was directly involved in this fuck-up.

The fact he wasn't fired the second the Ricketts family assumed control of the Cubs tells me they're a bunch of fucking idiots too.

11. Armchair_QB

I don't want to see Ron Zook with his shirt off.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Agreed. I was there last weekend and all the locals seemed to be pumped up about it. I'm glad they decided to switch to using one end zone, better than having a receiver dive for a catch and hit the wall screwing up the game, or worse yet, having another neck injury.

This way the game will not be impacted by the close wall. Right decision. Also, I love that Notre Dame and Army are playing at Yankee Stadium, a bigger place in a bigger city with bigger teams and everyone is talking about this game. Win for the Big Ten. Again.

Draft saved Draft deleted