1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that make you feel old

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Oct 12, 2016.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Ha .... JR always refers to his kids by their birth years "So and so is an '85er", etc. Hockey parents.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

No idea if other sports are like that - I never hear baseball parents, even those who are into hockey, use it up here - but if somebody in the hockey bidness asks me how old Huggy Jr. is I tell them he is a 2000, let them do the math.

HC likes this.
  3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Soccer is the same way. My youngest is a 2000, though until they recently changed the cutoff from Aug. 1 to Jan. 1, she played as a 2001.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

My old girlfriend from my senior year of high school passed away a few months ago after a year-long bout with cancer. She wasn't the first from our class ('73) to pass, but it still hit home a good deal harder than the others.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I just think about it in terms of life expectancy and thirds.
    My youth ended around 26, and middle age began.
    Old age will begin when I'm 52-53, so I've got six or seven more years of middle age.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

If old age begins in your early 50s, you've lived a hard life. Or an exciting one.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well, average life expectancy for a US male is about 79.
    So I just break it into thirds.
    I think most Americans are kidding themselves about what we call middle age. Most people who call themselves middle age are much closer to the end than they are the midpoint.
    I'm just trying to be realistic. The final third of my expected lifespan will begin around 52-53 and will end around 79.

Of course the end point trends further out over time, so I've got a little wiggle room.

8. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Buck's post.

Tweener and Iron_chet like this.
  9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Having to explain jokes and pop culture references to my millenial workforce.

It's funny that GnR was brought up because I was randomly singing Night Train and asked one of my 29 year old managers if he ever listened, guess I know why he said no.

Same manager and I have sons the same age.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

When you no longer get carded when you buy alcoholic beverages.

dixiehack and Bronco77 like this.
  11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Similar situation when I brought up Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam to a cute 28 y.o Puerto Rican girl. Asked if she remembered the song Lost in Emotion. She never heard of Lisa Lisa. Told her to ask her mom, she would remember.

I Should Coco likes this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I got that last week. I went to interview the owner of a local sporting goods store about the start of hunting season. I covered him when he was in high school, not too long after I started working here many moons ago. Asked him how old he was, and he's 35. Only five years younger than me, but it still felt like 50.

Roscablo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted