1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that make you feel old

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Oct 12, 2016.

1. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Made a Romper Room reference at work today. Co-worker had no idea what I was talking about. He just turned 26.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Funny you should mention "Romper Room" ...

About 10 years ago, I was telling my nephew about one of the greatest games in LSU football history, which happened to be within a few days of the day he was born in 1979. A decent, not great, LSU team stayed with No. 1-ranked USC until late in a 17-12 loss to the Trojans in Baton Rouge. That USC team had Marcus Allen and Charles White in the same backfield, Anthony Munoz on the offensive line, Ronnie Lott in the secondary, plus other future NFL players. LSU, ranked No. 20, had almost nobody you've ever heard of.

Playing with the knowledge that it would be Charles McClendon's last season as their coach, the Tigers gave USC one hell of a game. Speaking about Tiger Stadium and the LSU crowd, USC offensive lineman Brad Budde said, "This place makes Notre Dame look like Romper Room."

I waited for a reaction from my nephew, who was nearly 30 years old when I told this story, and he seemed to be waiting ... for something. The rest of the story? Then it dawned on me that he didn't get the reference to "Romper Room."

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Captain Kangaroo weeps.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Does he weep... PING PONG BALLS?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My knees are really killing me. Putting off a replacement may no longer be an option. As a single guy with a dog who needs to go out a few times a day and needs exercise (and lives on the third floor), I cannot tell you how much I do not want to do this. At all.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

My uncle (both knees) and my mom (one knee) have done it, Moddy ... and the key is, you really need to commit to the post-surgery PT.

If you're not willing to do that or are stubborn about the rehab (sorry, Mom), it's really tough to get the full benefit of the surgery.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Nothing about my body makes me feel old (knock on wood). Everything about society makes me feel old.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Losing another relative, even when it has been a long time coming. RIP Uncle Mike.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

38 years ago today:

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Watching Jay Barker's kid play high school ball on local teevee.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

The 25th anniversary of the Automatic For the People release is coming up.

Draft saved Draft deleted