1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things in movies that really bug you

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Apr 30, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You save money that way too.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Parents who bring children (not teenagers) to R-rated movies.

If you bring a 6-year-old to "Kill Bill," your parental rating is FAIL!

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

It bothers me that one out of every 10 movies is driven by a well-told, strong story and great plot and character development, while the other nine are driven by nothing more than big explosions, splashy special effects and the over-the-top personalities of its actors. And it bothers me that we're letting Hollywood get away with it.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The number of wholly-original plots delineated in English-language movies made for adults over the past 3-4 years . . . perhaps a dozen -- maybe.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I saw parents bring 6-year-olds (or thereabouts) to Blair Witch Project, The Exorcist re-release, and Passion of the Christ.

Morons.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Yeah, that too. I spend a lot of time in a nearby bookstore and it's shocking how many movie posters are serving as book covers these days.

7. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

Wait, Transformers was a movie? I thought it was just a really long GM comercial with a hot chick making it worth watching.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Three words:

Cigarette product placement

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Car chases where you can see skid marks in the intersection from previous takes.

Cartoonish CGI

Previews that are VERY LOUD and rely on that mechanical klang as they jump from cut to cut. Honorable Mention for any Russian oratorio music to heighten the IMPORTANCE of the film

Previews that make me think either I've seen too many movies or the people that are making them haven't seen enough.

Apartments and houses that seem unnaturally clean and orderly.

"Best friends" that don't seem to have anything else going on in their lives having all the time in the world to help the leads work through their romantic entanglements.

10. joe

joe Active Member

Second the happy endings bullshit. Life ain't all happy endings. Grandma ain't saved, your girlfriend fucks around on you and never looks back, little kids die every day, and somtimes there is no answer.

Give me ambiguity. Give me reality. Treat me like an adult.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

People talking throughout the movie; dammit I did not pay $10 to hear you do your best Bob Ueker (sp.)

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sports movies, such as (the otherwise fine) North Dallas Forty, where the fans in the stands cannot be seen because it's dark up there ... or else you'd see all the empty seats. Instead, a few people are constantly walking back and forth around the (well-lit) exits.

Draft saved Draft deleted