1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things in movies that really bug you

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

This isn't so much in movies, but TV -- I hate it when the characters are playing basketball, and the court is about the size of a living room and the hoops are 7 feet tall.

I can't remember the name of the show (someone here will surely find it) but there was some mid-90s Saved-By-The-Bell type where all the kids were on the HS basketball team that was notorious for that shitty court. And that show in particular bothered me because there was a girl on the boys team at this big high school that surely had its own girls team. But that's another rant entirely.

2. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I hate the parking thing. You know, they're in, like, Manhattan, and the guy pulls up in front of a skyscraper and there's a spot right there at the curb ... nobody ever uses a parking building unless they're being stalked/ambushed. And all parking buildings are totally deserted except for the stalker and the stalkee, despite the presence of thousands of cars ...

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Casting right-handed Ray Liotta as Joe Jackson in Field of Dreams.

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Hang Time, with Anthony Anderson and Reggie Theus.

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

It was originally Harold and Kumar Go To Krispy Kreme. The doughnut maker declined to participate.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If both paid eight figures, that would about cover Hanks' tab.

7. rube

rube Active Member

Not to get further off topic, but a fine TNBC morning show. Some other fine basketball moments in sitcom history were: In Fresh Prince when Will was the star of the squad and Carlton was jealous, so he stole the ball and threw up a hook shot from half court (which was about 20 feet out) and hit the scoreboard on the wall at the buzzer. Another, was in Family Matters when Urkel came off the bench as equipment manager and went all Bob Cousy on everyone -- alley-opping to Eddo who had several jams on a six-foot rim. Priceless.

Carry on with the thread.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Adrian Balboa. Especially in Rockjy IV: "When you fought before, there were reasons . . .I could understand!" Lady, getting one back for his buddy's death is the strongest reason yet (and dumbest movie).

Deer Hunter: Can never get past the "Yay, we're all the way in Vietnam, and isn't it nice that we're together! Oh no! All hell's breaking loose! Hey, there's our leader buddy from back home! What a nice coinkydeenck!"

Star Wars, the entire series: eh, too easy. Too many to list.

It's a major hole in Godfather that we never see Fabrizio get his. Ditto for Saruman in Lord of the Rings. Yes, I know the extended editions of both correct this.

When I was a kid, I loved Robocop (and yeah, I watched it last night). Is there not a scene where he pops a new clip into the gun? That kind of killed my childhood explanation that when the gun was in his leg holster, it, um, was being reloaded by mechanisms in his leg.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read somewhere that Coke pays $20 million to be the drink that Randy, Simon and Paula drink during AI.

Granted, it's the drink that's mixed with whatever else Paula has in that cup.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't remember seeing one. Like I said in the original post, I can accept that there might be a mechanism in the holster that automatically reloads it. I don't need to see every little thing to go with the flow and suspend disbelief. But two scenes -- the one where he's on the shooting range, and when he shoots up the drug lab -- made me think about it. He's doing an awful lot of shooting in those scenes without reloading or holstering.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

And take out your nose rings.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hate seeing a movie in the first week or two of release after 6 p.m. on Friday-Sunday. Between the cell phones and the talking, it makes me want to go postal...

Give me a matinee every single time...

Draft saved Draft deleted