1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things getting this bad?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hedpe70, Sep 17, 2007.

1. hedpe70

hedpe70 New Member

I know the business is down, but robbery?

SAVANNAH, Ga. --A former newspaper reporter was arrested Monday after he tried to rob a Savannah bank with a sawed-off shotgun, the FBI said.

Donald Lowery, 52, walked into a BankSouth branch on Savannah's suburban south side with the shotgun in his belt and demanded money, said William Kirkconnell, the FBI's supervisory senior special agent in Savannah.

A bank customer grappled with Lowery and restrained him until police arrived, Kirkconnell said. He said Lowery was "seriously injured" during the robbery attempt and was being treated at a Savannah hospital, but he would not say how Lowery got hurt or describe his injuries.

"He was brandishing a sawed-off shotgun, which was attached to his belt, and was heavily armed with nearly 30 rounds of ammunition," Kirkconnell said.

Lowery, 52, left his job earlier this year as a reporter at the Savannah Morning News, where he covered neighboring Effingham County. According to his profile on the newspaper's web site, Lowery had worked there since 1989.

Stacy Jennings, the newspaper's marketing director, would not say specifically when or why Lowery left his job there. Executive Editor Susan Catron declined to comment.

"We're very sorry for his family," Jennings said. "That's all we can really say,"

Lowery was charged with one count of bank robbery. Kirkconnell would not comment on Lowery's motive, and he declined to describe Lowery's injuries.

A woman who answered the phone at Lowery's home Monday said he did not have an attorney. She declined to comment further.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Hey, you do what you've got to do to make ends meet.

3. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Oh, great -- it's a trend now.

First the guy in Newport News, now this guy.

4. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

On a side note, the guy used to cover Effingham County.

That's Fuckingham County to you and me and the locals.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Bob Jelenic will be along to weigh in on this shortly, I'm sure.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I've been to Fuckingham (Effingham), Illinois and Fuckland (Efland), North Carolina. Both are way overrated and have misleading names.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

Coincidence?

Hmm...........

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/47095/

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well played, Chef. Well played.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I confess. ;D

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

BLOGS! are not only killing off newspapers, they're raising the crime rate.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Effingham, Ill. has a large cross in it to make up for it being calling Fuckingham.

Draft saved Draft deleted