1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things college football teams should NEVER do

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are exceptions... Colorado started 1-1-1 the year it won the title, but it also played Illinois, Washington and Tennessee in non-conference play.

Oklahoma lost to Miami early in the season and went on to win the title, I think it was 1985.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Crimson Tide have faced a ranked non-conference opponent each of the past five years. How many other teams can say that?

2012: No. 8 Michigan, neutral
    2011: No. 23 Penn State, road
    2010: No. 18 Penn State, home
    2009: No. 7 Virginia Tech, neutral
    2008: No. 9 Clemson, neutral

3. Mizzougrad96

Bama does a great job. Michigan, Penn State...
    LSU is pretty good.
    Georgia plays plenty of intersectional games.
    Florida never leaves the state in non-conference play.
    Auburn has played at USC.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Sorry. I won't interrupt people's incorrect statements and poorly-informed opinions again on this thread for at least another hour.

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Never schedule a game in a 100 year old baseball stadium when you haven't measured to make sure the field fits
    http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/ncf/news/story?id=5824661

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Auburn also plays Clemson regularly. And given that Florida State and Miami are in-state, why should Florida leave the state for a nonconference game? I wish they scheduled Miami more, though.

7. Mizzougrad96

Not many... That is impressive. I don't know if neutral games against Clemson and Virginia Tech are going too far out of its comfort zone, but they still get credit for playing good teams in non-conference play.

8. Mizzougrad96

I mean, I get it... If you're already playing Florida State and you're looking at a schedule where you're playing Georgia, LSU, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Tennessee in SEC play, I'm not sure I would feel the need to schedule anyone other than a Savannah State or a Charleston Southern or a Coastal Carolina in non-conference play.

9. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Ha, Ha. Alabama does play the occasional easy non-conference game, but I do give them credit for playing some tough non-conference games.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Our spirits are intertwined.

11. Mizzougrad96

They opened with Michigan.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Tennessee/UCLA, Tennessee/Oregon, Tennessee/Ohio State (stricken at OSU's request) Tennessee/Oklahoma, Tennessee/Nebraska, Tennessee/USC are all on the docket in the next decade.

Draft saved Draft deleted