1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

They're following you with your cell phone

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, May 18, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I use my cell phone a lot. However, if I don't want to answer the phone, I won't. If I don't want to be bothered, I'll turn my phone off.

Like someone here once said: "It's a tool, not a fucking leash."

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Off topic, I know. But there are men out there that go to the grocery store for their wives/significant others and do the shopping??? That is a foreign concept in my world.....

Kudos to you that do this.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I have a black belt in grocery shopping.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I usually only grocery shop when I'm by myself and will be for quite some time. But I can comparison shop with the best of them.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Cops (with the cell provider's help) have been able to track cell phones for years. That's how they traced O.J. to the white Bronco.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I have a cell phone and carry it with me everywhere I go. It's a must, not because I'm constantly talking to people but because a) I don't have a land line at home and b) I have family all around and want to be potentially in touch with them whenever I need them. I raise Little Man alone, but my entire family and ex-in-laws help me and I want them to be readily available at a moment's notice, if need be.

That being said, while I don't like the potential privacy intrusion in this case, I will say they shouldn't have a hard time figuring out where I'll be in a mall. Food court, children's play area, the electronic games store and the bookstore. They're not going to find me in Victoria's Secret or the Gap.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Wow, I thought I was the last person in America over the age of 13 to get a cell phone. Obviously not, by a mile.

And I'm generally banned from doing the family grocery shopping. You can count on the bill being significantly higher if I'm doing the shopping. And if it's a combination of my youngest son and me, the frickin' Kroger people drool when they see us coming and basically give us a VIP host the minute we walk through the door.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

If someone insists on talking loudly on the stupid thing and ruining my meal, I'm going to light my cigar and waft the smoke in their general direction. Tit for tat.

9. If I could microchip my kids I would.

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

GMs OnStar uses the same technology. I too have a problem with the government being able to track your every move, but what are you going to do?

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Jesus, LBJ, you're one of THOSE people. My sister's one, too. Your insistance that someone talking on a phone ruins your meal makes me laugh while considering what five-star joints at which you dine. Do you feel the same way when two people in the next booth over talk loudly (... and by the way, who screams into a cell phone since, like 1988, when they were new technology?)? Is it that you can only hear one end of the convo, you eavesdropper? I hope people you blow smoke at respond with a sock in the kisser.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I can't help but hear it while trying to have and enjoy an actual face-to-face conversation.

[​IMG]

If you want to yell, order takeout.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted