1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

They taking fishing seriously in Georgia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, May 23, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

GREENSBORO, Ga. (AP) — An 86-year-old man didn’t want anyone getting too close to his fishing lines, so he took a few shots at a pair of fishermen competing at a tournament, authorities said. One of them was hit in the arm.
    John Burke Yearwood of Madison was jailed on a charge of aggravated assault and later released on bond.
    Greene County Sheriff Chris Houston said Yearwood has been putting his fishing lines out in the area for decades.
    Two men competing in a fishing tournament Saturday on the Oconee River told authorities that when they got close to Yearwood’s lines, Yearwood raised a rifle and fired two shots that hit the water in front of their boat. A sheriff’s department report says Yearwood — who was at a fishing camp but was not in the tournament — fired a third shot that hit Craig Barnett as he sat in the boat.
    The men said they sped away in the boat and used a cell phone to call 911.
    The sheriff’s report says Barnett, a Sycamore resident, sustained a wound under his left arm and gave authorities a small-caliber bullet that he says went into his arm.
    Investigators found Yearwood at his home.
    “He was just trying to warn (them) away from the fishing lines,” Houston said Tuesday.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Fishin' and shootin'!

What could be more 'merican than that? :)

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Not much of a fisherman myself, but I'm guessing that's gonna pretty much chase any chance of catching said fishies away.....

4. KG

KG Active Member

Keep me from catching babies like these two and I'll shoot your ass too!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Just kidding. I only wanted to hijack the thread to brag.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Nice looking fish.

My buddy sent me a pic on my phone of a 10-pound northern pike he caught the other day.

If I reeled one of those into the boat, I honestly don't know what the fuck I'd do with it.

6. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Did you catch those, Kathy? Nice fish. Four-pounders, maybe?

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Might could be five, I reckon.

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

How much did they cost?

9. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

kathy, nice bass.

10. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

The moral of the story is don't trust anyone with three names.

11. KG

KG Active Member

Yes I caught them. They were just bairly over five. That was an awesome fishing experience. The most anyone else caught on the boat, including a pro fisher that was with us, was three.

Drumroll please...............................................

I caught NINE.

Man I'm fucking awesome!

The key to being a good fisher is to be really cocky about it.

12. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

And knowing where to toss that lit stick of dynamite. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted