1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

They start young in the Twin Cities...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You forgot The Lamplighter Lounge

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

EWWWW!

A_QB, you're grounded too!

And I though that was closed, or am I getting it mixed up with the Payne Reliever?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I wouldn't know. I don't live there. :D

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Doesn't matter, you're still grounded! :p ;D

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Yikes. Talk about old memories. I used to walk down Payne Avenue a few times each week back in the day. The Payne Reliever was a running joke for me and my buddies back then. Heck, I even almost got mugged around the corner from the Payne Reliever.

And the answer is no. I've never been inside the Payne Reliever.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Which Lamplighter? I've been to the one in New Ulm

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

He's talking about the one over on Rice and Larpenteur.

There's also a Lamplighter in Superior, Wis.

I was in that one once back 20 years ago or so BEFORE it became a strip joint.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

10. Well, Mark Foley's social life for the next Republican convention seems pretty well set.

11. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Maybe everyone has a Lamplighter story. Mine is the Lamplighter Lodge at Clearlake CA. We are visiting relatives in the area and my mother in law makes a reservation for us there. We check in and head to our room, on the second floor. As we walk to the door, my 6 (at the time) year old daughter says "the floor is squishy". We go into the room and there are actuall holes in the linoleum that show the ceiling of the room below. The room refrigerator is sunk through the floor at about a 30 degree angle and everywhere you look there are cigarette burns. Floor, counters, bathroom sink, shower, everywhere. My daughter announces "I am not staying here, i'll go to Grandma's house. The wife and I decide we wont be staying either and she goes downstairs to tell the desk, we are leaving. While she does, the kid and I take some soda cans and cups from the car to the dumpster around the side of the building. We tossed 'em in and hit a bum who was completely inside the dumpster. At least he got the aluminum.

And we made our own reservations from then on.

12. The Lamplighter is a trucker's strip joint in my old hometown.
    I think "I've been to the one in New Ulm" should enter the all-purpose SportsJournalists.com lexicon.

Draft saved Draft deleted