1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

They say you couldn't make Blazing Saddles today...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jake_Taylor, May 4, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Oh, same here... But I'm guessing you and I aren't the people they'd be worried about.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Nobody makes culturally insensitive movies anymore.

[​IMG]

Also, why would "uproar" over a modern, Blazing Saddles-like comedy not also overwhelm a movie like, say, American History X?

3. RecoveringJournalist

If you try to apply common sense to this line of thinking, your head will explode.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I know the Karate Kid was remade a few years back, but to me, in today's world, it'd be so unrealistic. You have bullying, multiple incidences of assault and battery, a teacher encouraging his students to beat up others, the teacher assaulting one of his own students (originally how the movie was supposed to end, changed into the start of the second movie), stereotyping and racial slurs.

Today, Daniel's mom would be calling the school, filing assault charges against the Cobra Kai, threatening to sue their parents and Kreese, and Daniel would be videotaping each incident of bullying on his phone.

5. MisterCreosote

And, that's not even getting into the "enjoy your clams, cocksuckers" bit.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

O RLY?

[​IMG]

The movie can't suck. That's the big determinant. If Blazing Saddles came out today, it would be fine, because it's hilarious.

Someone mentioned Fast Times as one that couldn't have been made today. Superbad was about 100x the gross-out of Fast Times.

This whole supposition just doesn't match the reality of what's getting to theaters.

7. RecoveringJournalist

Superbad doesn't show someone going to get an abortion.

It's not the gross out stuff that would prevent it from being re-made, it's underage (Jennifer Jason Leigh's character is 14 in the movie) people having sex.

I agree it's absurd, and Fast Times is one of my top five favorite movies of all-time, but I can't imagine a mainstream movie having those kinds of scenes today.

There are exceptions, but most are directed by Harmony Korine (Kids, Bully etc...) not exactly mainstream, and also 15+ years old.

8. RecoveringJournalist

With a lot of the aforementioned movies, it comes down to one character, a specific scene or two or a few lines that people would find objectionable... The problem is, some of those scenes are the funniest in the movie.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You're just wrong. You want this super-PC world to exist, but it doesn't.

There are all kinds of movies that play on stereotypes to mock them. It works. It's funny. The Hangover's depiction of the Asian guy was as far over the line as anything you can bring up from 30 years ago (Sixteen Candles for instance), but it didn't draw notice because it and the movie were funny.

Sandler's movies are terrible. They aren't mocking racism, they're celebrating it. Toofuckingbad if that shit doesn't get out into the world.

Which it WILL, by the way.

10. MisterCreosote

11. RecoveringJournalist

On no level do I want a super PC world to exist.

Find a major studio movie where the N-word is used as much as it is in 48 Hours. And I'm not talking Django or slavery period pieces. Find a major studio movie where a character in high school, with a stated age under 16 is having sex. Most movies dodge that (American Pie, Superbad) by making the characters seniors, thus making people assume they're 18.

You are absolutely right that there are exceptions. The Hangover is a huge one. It's the R-rated comedy that made a fortune and spawned two awful sequels. Yes, it's far worse than Sixteen Candles, a movie geared at teenagers.

You are also absolutely right that Sandler's movies are typically terrible and he's not exactly a sympathetic figure in this argument/debate.

And the peeping tom, rapey stuff these days is usually limited to sex crime dramas, rather than 70s and 80s comedies like Porky's, Caddyshack, Animal House, Stripes, Revenge of the Nerds, etc...

12. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah... That's a good call... How often do we get those though?

Draft saved Draft deleted