1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

These good folks who will give you money for your gold.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ScribePharisee, Feb 10, 2009.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

A friend took about $600 worth of gold jewelry - he got offered that much at a pawn broker to one of those gold dealers you see in TV commercials. They sent an offer of $140. He rejected it and days later he got a counter offer in the mail of $250. He did some research and found they'll eventually come through with a third offer, which is still far less than you'll get from your local pawn dealer.

Lesson: Keep your money in your local economy.

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

why do you hate ed mcmahon?

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

They've got to make money somehow. Preying on stupid people to low-ball them for a precious medal that's skyrocketing in value, might be the quickest way possible.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It might have been on the Super Bowl commercials thread, but someone posted a great inside look at the Cash4Gold.com people from an ex-employee.

5. jps

jps Active Member

too late to get in the game:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Your friend is an f'n moron. Tell him to read SJ and he'll avoid traps like that.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/66518/

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Thanks, Inky. I was wrong with the thread, but remembered reading that. It was horrifying.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

IT"S MY MONEY AND I WANT IT NOW!!!

Uh....sorry. Confusing my cash scams.....

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Shame on me. :-[

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wait, wait, wait. What could be wrong with putting your precious heirlooms in an envelope and sending it off to those people and hoping to get a good offer for it?

11. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

Here in Smokeyville, we have a local gold buying company that advertises pretty much nonstop.

I come home from work after deadline and watch TV for an hour or two. I swear I see those bastards' ads during every commercial break no matter what channel I'm watching. I'm on the verge of driving down there and screaming at those fuckers to stop bombarding me with ads.

Business must be booming.

12. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Generally, the most repetitive TV commercials are brought to us by scam artists. It's the leading growth business in America now.

Draft saved Draft deleted