1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There's drunk, then there's druuuuunnnnnnk

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How bad is the hangover with a .708 BAC?

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/news/article_9d4a1d0e-f4d1-11de-8edf-001cc4c002e0.html

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

That is just insane.

Keith Whitley, the country singer who'd been drunk since childhood, died with a .477 BAC. I'll never forget that. For years I didn't think it was possible to go too far beyond that number, if at all.

But I'm finding now that there are people who have topped .9 and even 1.0 and survived. One guy in Poland supposedly measured at 1.23 earlier this year. I'm just absolutely blown away by that.

3. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

At BAC .708, there is a probability that the human being carrying that much alcohol will wind up DEAD and not have to deal with any hangover.

I don't recall the exact stats, but my recollection is that once BAC goes to .4 or above, the probability of survival hovers in the 50% range.

4. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I'd definitely have to question the accuracy of the Breathalyzer in this case.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Please tell me you're missing an "a." Otherwise, that's one hell of a bender.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I like the fact it says that it "could be" a state record, since it is of course probably impossible to know, and someone might write into the paper complaining that their grandpa had a 1.89 in 1972.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

BAC is percentage, right? So isn't it physically impossible to have more than a 1.0 BAC, because that would be pure alcohol? Or am I too sober?

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

LOL, you're right.

I'm laughing, but I shouldn't be. What a sad, sad waste of talent. That guy was indisputably great.....but he took his worship and emulation of Lefty Frizzell and George Jones way too far.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I've hung out with cops who were part of a specialized DUI unit and the highest certified one they had was .46. The portable ones are very, very inaccurate in terms of measuring BAC.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to hear she was found in a car. I'd love to know what you wake up next to after a .708 bender (if not a coroner. though you wouldn't wake up to a coroner. you know what i mean.)

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ya, sad story. I'm reminded of the time I skipped school to read "No One Here Gets Out Alive" and decided I was going to become a drunken poet. Thankfully, that "dream" faded quickly.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Hoping my oldest son doesn't get any ideas. He's a big fan of Jim Morrison for some inexplicable reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted