1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There STILL are morons out there who leave their kids in hot cars

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HandsomeHarley, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

That Weingarten piece remains one of the best single pieces of journalism I've ever read. Period.

Completely tore me up. Still does.

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Completely. One of the greatest ever written. The imagery will stay with me forever.

3. Troy

Troy New Member

When you have children, your life becomes their lives. They depend on you, so when you make a stupid ass decision as such, you will reap the consequences. Yeah, I'm sure they do feel like shit, but they should -- and then some. Responsibility.

Ah, "Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten", eh?

Somebody needs to smack the fucking shit out of these people, for fuck's sake.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

We should line them up and torture them. I, for one, will feel much better about life.

5. Troy

Troy New Member

I tried really, really hard to have sympathy for these people after reading the article and your post, but I'd like to simplify my reasoning for wanting to beat the living shit out of these people with one terse response: they have a huge responsibility in their lives and that is their children. Failure to take care of them will result in harsh consequences.

Here comes out my pompous arrogance and myriad confidence: I'm so glad that I'm a better parent than those people will ever be. I'll never, ever fucking do that to one of my children. I don't give a fuck if I have a big-ass to-do list and something slips my mind. There's no excuse to leave a little kid in the back seat of a car on a fucking scorching hot summer day.

We all make mistakes, but these things are inexcusable.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Troy, I'm sure those parents thought the same way as you do.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Be sure they engrave all this on the base of your "Father of the Year" trophy.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You know, I bet every one of these parents who has done this thought to themselves, "You know, I'm the kind of parent who WOULD leave his kid in a hot car. I'm totally gonna do that someday. And you know what else? I'm not even gonna feel bad about it. I'm gonna find my kid, cry some crocodile tears and then prance off down the road to buy myself a mink stole and some diamond-encrusted tumblers for tonight's wine-and-cheese party."

What's it like to be perfect, Troy? We're all dying to know.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yay! Been a while since we've had a torture fantasy thread.

Instead of fantasizing about beating the shit out of people and drawing and quartering them, or patting myself on the back for being a better parent, I'd be curious to know if this is something that happens more often now than it did years ago. Does it track with busier lives? Cell phone usage? What can we learn from these tragedies to prevent others, so these children didn't die in vain? I'm a pound of prevention type of guy. Beating the shit out of someone doesn't bring anyone back.

10. Troy

Troy New Member

It feels pretty good up here on this high horse. Don't think I'm gonna hop off just yet.

Y'know, shit happens to people, and that sucks, but with the basis of having a child, you have this tiny human being who cannot fend for him or herself. The said child is innocently sitting idly in the backseat of a car, not making a peep while their parent drives down the road to who the eff knows where. While the adult is thinking about themselves, enduring the "oh so many stresses of their lives", forgetting that their own child is in the backseat?

I've fucked up more than anybody I know, and hell, despite the fact that I'm truly showing my ass in this thread by acting like a total asshole, I understand how easy it is to make mistakes because they are inevitable.

However, leaving YOUR own children in the backseat of a car on a scorching hot July day for several hours and not even giving a thought that they are inside? That's carelessness, irresponsibility and selfishness amalgamated into one big steaming pile of b-u-l-l-s-h-i-t. Inexcusable.

Even when I'm driving alone, when I park my car and exit, I check the backseat area, especially in the summer, making sure the windows are rolled up in case of a possible rain, etc.

These people went about their business without even giving a second thought? You hear these parents speak of the everyday cliche of "I'd do anything for mah kids, maaan. They mah life! I think about them 24/7!" Oh, you think about them 24/7, do ya? I bet those same people had that mentality.

As for my mentality, then sure, they probably thought and said the same things. They probably talked harshly of the people doing what they inevitably did and said they should face brutal repercussions, but the fact of the matter is that these kind of tragedies CAN be avoided. They SHOULD be avoided. They are inexcusable.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Can't turn off the cell phone. Ever. Your child may need to call to tell you you locked him in the car.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Troy! The Musical! Coming to Broadway, Summer 2011.

Cast Album to include these hits:

- Especially in the Summer (Troy)

- Oh so Many Stresses (Troy)

- Showing my Ass (Troy)

- Don't Think I'm Gonna Hop Off Just Yet (Troy)

- Crack That Window (Troy; Parking Lot Attendant)

- Checkin' My Backseat (Troy)

- Woulda! Coulda! Shoulda! (Troy)

- I'd do anything for mah kids, maaan. They mah life! I think about them 24/7! (Reggae; entire cast)

- B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T (Troy; Act II Love Song)

- Inexcusable (Troy; McGruff)

- "World's Best Dad! The coffee mug song!" (Troy; entire cast)

Draft saved Draft deleted