1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There isn't enough Aleve in the world

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

I've heard of that, pallister. Sort of going old school, doncha think?

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Just mentioned it because I'm from Chicago, and I believe that's the only place it's played, although not as much as in the 70s when I used to watch games at fire department picnics and other various gatherings.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What do you mean 16-inch softball game? I've never heard of that.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Nope. Both the ASA and USSSA have 16-inch national championships ...

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Really. I'd like to check out some high-level 16-inch games.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I think 36-inch softball is the best.

7. soccer dad

soccer dad Guest

once again ontario proves its superiority over those nutty albertans. big surprise.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Had a chance to play 16-inch in an intramural league at BU a few years back. We played on Nickerson (the site of the old Braves field). The left field line looked ridiculously short since we were playing on a football field. But no one on my team could hit it that far.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Hey, anyone can win at this game. We only lost by one run to two of those Ontario. Wrong side of the inch a couple of times, that's all.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

To play 16-inch, it helps to be about 6-foot-3 and 280 pounds, because hitting that ball is like trying to launch a frozen cantaloupe. I played in a 16-inch league for a few years, and I'm not 6-3, 280, so that was it for me. And without gloves, there's even less room (or should I say) more room for error, like shooting at one of those carnival basketball hoops. Fun game, but 12-inch is much easier, I think.

And threadjacking here -- was Erika Eleniak at any of the games? Because last night I saw she is a contestant on the latest version of Celebrity Fit Club, trying to shed her baby weight gained through her post-Baywatch domestic life in Calgary with her husband, identified as "Rock." (He looks like one, too.)

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

Me and my pals played all through our teens and into our mid 20s.
    A lot of fun.
    My best memory was when we rallied in the bottom of the 7th to win and we jumped on the guy who scored the winning run.
    Next thing you know "AHHHH!"
    Broke the guy's ankle, out for the season, spent the summer on crutches.
    He wasn't one of our best players so it didn't affect us at all.
    Yeah, I miss those days.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

According to Wikipedia ...
    After filming Snowbound in 2001 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Eleniak fell in love with a key grip who worked on the set, as well as with the city. Having wanted to leave Los Angeles for years (and feeling that commuting to and from her other choice, Telluride, Colorado, was prohibitively difficult), purchased a home there, in part because the man she fell in love with lived there.

Checked out her website ... she still has a very 80s look about her. But I still wouldn't know her if I tripped over her. Although a lot of the intense training people are either at World Health Club or World Gym.

Draft saved Draft deleted