1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is nowhere that christians are persecuted. Nowhere.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 25, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Or, is there an Islamist War on Christians?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Christians with tattoos above the neck must really be in for it.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Troll, troll, troll your boat ...

4. YankeeFan

Especially if they're Vegan.

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Christians in Lebanon should... I don't know... maybe should arm themselves and form a militia. I'm not that familiar with the country's history but I'm sure that hasn't been tried before.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

For the most part, I wouldn't consider anything that happens in North America to be real persecution. Sorry, being told you can't wear a cross or a Jesus t-shirt at school isn't real persecution.

But in other parts of the world, people are tortured and killed for their faith every day. Those who deny this simply are overlooking facts.

7. Morris816

Morris816 Member

This. A thousand times this.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Headline in Tuesday's New York Times: "Pakistan Christians Issue Call for Protection."

That said: Yes, that was an ignorant statement by the poster who wrote it.

9. YankeeFan

Yes, but to be fair to the author, his complaint is that these attacks are treated as one-off events, unrelated to each other, or some broader goal. They are "episodic".

His assertion is, "It is not an accident, the persecution and mass murder of Christians by Muslims. It is not episodic. It is by design."

He specifically says, "The media haven’t ignored the stories of Muslim violence against Christians altogether, to be fair. But they do treat the incidents as tragic isolated events perpetrated by a few nuts. They refuse to frame the mass murder and mass persecution as what they are: a war."

And, he asks the question, "Do they not want to be at odds with the narrative coming from the current occupants of the White House, which downplays the atrocities being perpetrated by Muslims against Christians?"

When you look at the fawning, patronizing coverage the President of Iran has been receiving, you really have to wonder what is going on.

MSNBC was so excited about a possible "impromptu" hallway meeting between Rouhani and Obama, and whether or not they might shake hands. (The whole thing was hysterical, since they had been tipped off that it would happen, so they were "speculating" about something they knew was going to happen -- only it didn't, and they were so disappointing.)

But, clearly, the media has gotten out ahead of the story on this one.

The mediais celebrating Rouhani because he may have said the Holocaust. (Or, at least, might not have denied it, while stressing, he was no historian.) Or, maybe he didn't and CNN just got the translation wrong. Who knows? Either way, the media is excited.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

RIGHT NOW, Somebody Is Getting Away With Something.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Don't forget the fact that no one will sign Tim Tebow as another example of persecuting Christians.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I withhold my excitement until there are concrete events and not contrived cable news
    events like hand shake diplomacy.

Concrete events are like when Nixon went to China to meet Chairman Mao. That was a serious event with serious results. Another example was when Nixon went to the USSR.

Two meetings that changed the course of history. A hand shake in the hall just does not cut it as news to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted