1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is no recession in Happy Valley

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Nov 18, 2009.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Column may have been predictable, but it wasn't wrong.

Don't go.

I swear, sports fans are the only consumers who are supposed to completely ignore the concept of "value for your money" and just go --- no matter how shitty or expensive the product --- or risk being called "bad fans" or "bandwagon jumpers."

Fuck that. Only sporting event I pay to see these days is tennis tournament on Key Biscayne, where $32 buys me a grandstand seat (and access to 7 other courts) and a full day of men's and women's tennis.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You keep the sports if its economically feasible. Kinda like you buy a Cadillac if you want the car and (key point) can afford it. If you, not downgrade to a Buick or Chevy like the rest of us. And I wouldnt even mention it if it weren't for the fact that Joe's been playing this card for 30 years.

He attempted to start hi own version of the Big East back in the late 70s, which Pitt, Syracuse and WVU voted down. Why? Joe wanted 30 percent of all TV revenue, with the remaining teams splitting the other 70 percent. Why? "Eyyyyaaaaahh, weze got 313 varsity sports tah support."

He ditched the Eastern Independent route and went to the Fat 10. Why? "Eyyyyyaaaaah, weze got 313 varsity sports tah support."

Eight home games a year, one of the few schools that do this. Won't play many teams unless its a 2-for-1 or a 1-and-done. Why? You guessed it. "eyyyyyaaaahhhhh...."

There comes a point in time when that dog won't hunt anymore.

And in 30 years, no one has ever asked these people why, if its so fucking difficult, do you keep 600 million varsity sports around. If I went out and bought a Lexus, a speed boat, a motorhome and a dune buggy, then started charging my friends and family to use these things with me because "I have all these payments to make," one of my friends or family would say, "hey, why dont you just get rid of some of them if you cant afford them?"

But that question, as far as I know, has never been answered in Happy Valley.

3. BTExpress

Way back in the Precambrian Era (about 1971-72), PSU made two trips to Tennessee. And Tennessee never went to Penn State. I guess JoePa has been demanding reparations ever since.

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Here's PSU's revenue numbers, FWIW:

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/InstDetails.aspx?756e697469643d32313437373726796561723d32303038267264743d31312f31382f323030392031313a30373a303420414d

5. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

It IS possible to accomplish both. You can keep your 8th home game but how about using it on someone who will actually challenge you? There's no rule saying you need to use those home games to play such pathetic schools.

Penn State is not doing itself any favors by padding their schedule like this EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Sure they may finish with 9 wins but when you look at who those are against, it doesn't impress anyone outside of the Kool-Aid-drinking Happy Valley.

6. BTExpress

Good teams demand a return trip.

Goodbye, 8th home game.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Isn't it funny how JoePa always forgets to mention his demand for 30% of the TV money when he talks about trying to start that Eastern football conference in the '70s? Fucking fraud.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

PSU over the years on the road, non-con, non-bowl

One game a year, and if it is half-way tough, they are dead.

As Beno Cook would say, they are the Russian Army - tough at home, terrible on the road.

2008 - Syracuse
    2007 - Temple
    2006 - Notre Dame (L)
    2005 - no one
    2004 - Boston College (L)
    2003 - Nebraska (L)

Draft saved Draft deleted