1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There are times I'm embarassed to live in the Burgh...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Nov 24, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's because they aren't old-time Raiders fans. Now that was a scary group. Not sure if they still are.

And I don't mean the guys in makeup and Halloween masks. I'm talking about groups like the guys who put an opposing fan in the hospital a few times. Though I'm sure it has happened many places. That is just one I remember clearly.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I've nothing against Pittsburgh, but if you have to play the better-sports-team card in a who's got the better city debate, that's a pretty good sign you've already lost (especially if you're home of the Pirates). It's nice when the local franchises are winning and all, but that's got so very little to do with what kind of city you have.

And, btw, I'm not sure its quite fair to say that a city that was in the most recent Super Bowl, won the World Series just 2 years ago, and 6 NBA Titles in the 90s, has shitty sports teams "99 percent of the time".

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Jordan is the one percent. Oh, nice that you can proud of losing a Super Bowl and winning the first World Series in what, 65 or 70 years?

I was commenting back to Doc by the way. I took a shot at Chicago since there never seems to be entire threads devoted to cutting Chicago down like there is in Pittsburgh.

Five Super Bowls, two Lord Stanleys, a handful of NCAA football championships and two World Series titles in the last 38 years. Pittsburgh even had Bruno Sammartino. :D

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm in agreement with sportschick, keep the fanboy shit off the board. It's crept into this thread, and I'm no fan of it.

5. 93Devil

I disagree.

If you grew up in Oklahoma City, Richmond, Norfolk, Nashville, Columbus and other major cities that did not have large professional sports franchises, you are missing something from a Pittsburgh type city.

The only thing that separates Pittsburgh from these other cities in national recognition might be the fact that Pittsburgh's teams keep the city's name on the national news.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

OK, you win. You're officially better than Oklahoma City and Norfolk. SCOREBOARD! Way to set your sights high.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It's the "I step away from the mic to breathe in" of SportsJournalists.com.

8. 93Devil

hahahaha

You got me there.

The point I was trying make at the start of this thread is Pittsburgh is a nice place. Really nice if you were born there. It just gets bashed so much, and I think this is unfair.

But the Steelers are a part of the Pittsburgh experience. You cannot take that away from the town.

9. I'm from Chicago. Lived in Pittsburgh for a few years and enjoyed it.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

As I said, I've nothing against Pittsburgh. Seemed fine the couple times I was there. I've heard others mock it for the--let's just say "unsophisticated"--element in its populace, but I didn't notice it.

Only meant to point out that comparing W-L records of the local sports franchises is a damn weak argument in a city's favor. Detroit's won a hell of a lot more sports championships than San Diego, but in which city would you rather live?

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Was it a flat-billed cap? Worn backward? Or slightly askew?

12. markvid

markvid Guest

I was born here, raised here and can be at PNC Park in 15 minutes from my house.
    I am not saying this is a bad place to live, just that people take the obsession with the Steelers way too seriously.

Draft saved Draft deleted