1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Yankees Blame Stub Hub For Poor Attendance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 5, 2012.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If there were nowhere to sell below face value, you'd have to completely eat the low-popularity tix. At least StubHub gives you, the season-ticket holder, a means to offload those. Absent StubHub, you'd be less willing to make the season ticket purchase.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Besides Stub Hub there is always ticket brokers who can move tickets.

3. doctorquant

You're right ... StubHub's just another broker ... but it's an awfully convenient one to work with, especially for low-demand games.

4. Boom_70

Agreed. From personal experience it was much better for sellers in pre stub hub world going through broker. Stub Hub's convenience has flooded market with a lot tickets.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It's not baseball but I'm pissed that the only way right now to get tickets to the Cowboys Classic (michigan vs. alabama) is on Stubhub and those prices are currently ridiculous.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

What the teams hate is that their precious season ticket holders are going away. Corporations have cut them out and there is not this hankering for "I HAVE to have season tickets!". Like country club memberships, season tickets are so 1983.

This is the team's fault. Jack up prices for years and then get upset when a new platform, like StubHub, comes along and shatters it. Now they're angry

Rather than go to 81 games of an MLB season, I would rather go to two games with incredible seats. That's why I love StubHub. I can sit behind the dugout of a Royals game for $25. Behind the dugout of a Cardinals game for $50.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Yankees ... all of your tickets are belong to us!"

Along with Hotwire, Stubhub is the greatest internet commerce site in creation.

I have pretty much bought exclusively through Stubhub for at least a half-decade or so now. I've used it so much, it was weird when I went to a Portland Timbers match last week and bought from the window old school walk-up style.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I guess I've just been unlucky. I've never tried to get tickets from Stubhub that weren't inflated prices. I'll give it another look next time I need tix. As far as going to the team web site, I guess I'm just old and simple minded enough that when I want Braves tickets my natural instinct is to go to the Braves and search where it says tickets. Most of the time now I just call the ticket office and actually talk to a person which produces the best result.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My son and I are going to two Braves-Yankees games later this month. I got tickets for the first one on StubHub. Ninety bucks face, which seems absurd for starters. Paid 84, including fees, for both. We're buying tickets to the other game this week and as of yesterday, there were thousands available for well below face.

A buddy of mine regularly goes to Nats games way below face on StubHub.

That said, why would the teams bitch? SOMEONE had to pay face for them, right?

To boom's earlier point, my brother tried to buy Yankees-Red Sox tickets. He wants to take his wife's nephew to a game. Yow. WAY high. WAY WAY high. So they're not going.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

About the only time I go to the team site for tickets is when I'm purchasing one of their promotions. Buy X tickets, get X free...stuff like that. All other times, it's StubHub.

11. Boom_70

I think from Yankees standpoint when a ticket is sold on Stub Hub it's not new inventory. If ticket is purchased from the Yankees it's an additional sale to them.

I sure their are thousands now who are savvy enough to wait until day of game to check prices and weather and if prices are right they will go, if not they won't.

12. doctorquant

The teams bitch (in a small-minded way) because those seats, which had already been sold, wind up being used by those who otherwise/perhaps would have bought other tickets from the team.

Draft saved Draft deleted