1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The worst NFL starting quarterback during the Super Bowl era

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Oct 21, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Bubbler, that was some solid work.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I talk now and again with a guy who played for the Redskins back when Shuler was a rookie. He said it was clear during the very first practice that Shuler wasn't going to be very good. He couldn't throw, struggled to read defenses, and had terrible foot work.

I asked him if they could have made him a running back ala Tebow, and he said no, because Shuler was too slow. That Shuler not only stayed in the league a few seasons, but was even picked up by other teams after the Redskins, shows the value of being a first round pick.

He likes Shuler just fine as a person, but said it was apparent from day one he was not an NFL QB.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Leaf is the name that immediately jumped out at me.

You could go through the list of Bears quarterbacks over the last 20 years and I'm sure a few could be at the top of this list. Hell, go through the Niners since they ditched Jeff Garcia.

I kind of have a problem with guys who were career backups who got three starts here and four starts there being mentioned.

I'd like it to be more specific like "Worst QB to start a Super Bowl" or "Worst QB to start and win a Super Bowl."

4. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Bucky Richardson

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Whitlock just clutched his heart.

6. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

David Archer, Falcons.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Reaves actually was pretty good in the USFL, which partially explains his absence (as well as the league's quality)

I thought of Malone, but he seemed to have some not worst-ever stats. And he caught a 90-yard touchdown pass, which is more than most receivers have done.

And I also saw the Boryla Pro Bowl selection, too. Must have been a lot of injuries that year.

8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I have some great memories of the Met. RIP the Met.

And Lynn Dickey was a helluva QB. The man could throw the ball 8)

But enough of this nicey-nice! There's a game Sunday night!

Will Randy Moss moon..will Favre text pics to Ted Thompson at half..will the concession stands run out of paint thinner? :D

Skol, Vikings!

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

As a Colts fanboi looser, I can't let this thread go without mentioining Jack Trudeau. The Colts had halfway-decent teams when he played, except they couldn't totally overcome Trudeau as QB.

To be positive, though, I understand, according to the Zionsville, Ind., Trudeau helps his kids throw slammin' parties.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Jamarcus Russel has to be part of the conversation.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I'm sticking with my original selection of Joe Pisarcik but check out Gary Huff(Bears-Bucs) career rating 46.8 16 TDs 50 INTs

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Was Reeves with Tampa Bay in the USFL? I forgot he put up some big numbers with Bandit Ball.

I was semi-joking on Malone...I know he is hated in Pittsburgh, but he had one or two years where he wasn't horrible.

Boryla is one of those great mysteries.

Draft saved Draft deleted