1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The worst NFL starting quarterback during the Super Bowl era

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Oct 21, 2010.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I was all set to agree with you about Brooks, because he was absolutely the most infuriating quarterback I ever saw play. But I went back and checked his stats, and they weren't horrible. Not great, mind you, but the Saints have employed plenty who were worse, including that SOB you pictured.

The Saints were 38-44 in the six seasons Brooks was their QB, which considering how bad some of those teams were, was decent enough. Plus, he took them to the playoffs in 2000 and actually won a playoff game for the first time in team history. He completed 56.4 percent of his passes and had 120 TDs to 84 INTs. Like I said, not great, but not horrible, either. As for his eight-game stint with the Raiduhs in 2006, the less said the better.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

some really great names on here.

I'd say Pisarick would be my top choice.

Two that missed the starts cut...John Reaves, old Eagles Qb and former 1st rounder who scabbed in 1987. That was six years after his last NFL game.

Stan Gelbaugh, lost the first 11 games of his career before finishing 1-11 all-time.

I'm surprised no one has wheeled out Mark Malone.

Also, does anyone know why Mike Boryla made the 1975 pro bowl for throwing six tds and 12 ints in seven games? Was there a plague in the NFC that year?

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

And Millen made an impressive pull: Lisa Guerrero, who had been a Falcons cheerleader/choreographer at his previous stop. Her Tv career started with a dreadful women's football show on Sportschannel.

Back on topic: Steve Tensi? Pete Liske?

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The Bears don't get a pass for only starting Mirer three times. They traded the No. 10 pick in the draft, which turned out to be Shawn Springs, for him, long after Mirer established that he sucked. When the Bears made that incredibly asinine move, there was no potential left.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Mike Martz was the OC for the Patriots?

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Agreed. Brooks was maddening, but he wasn't wretched. He had his moments. A friend and I even coined the term "The Aaron Brooks Game" for his performances. He'd throw three picks, maybe mix in a fumble, yet at the end of the day he had thrown for 280 yards and three touchdowns and the Saints had scored 28 points. Not bad for fantasy football purposes, but frustrating as a Saints fan.

7. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

Back in 1996 when he was with New Orleans, someone in the Saints front office told me Millen's girlfriend was so hot that when she showed up to pick him up, practice would actually stop. I wonder if that was Lisa Guerrero. If not her, then it was some other hot babe. It pays to be a quarterback, even if you aren't a very good one.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

How many games did Qunicy Carter start?

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Trying to think of one for the Vikings other than Jim McMahon, and I found this about Sean Salisbury, who did start a few for the Vikings, and also allegedly used a cell phone like another Viking QB allegedly did:

Spice rack: Sean Salisbury, who was dropped by ESPN in 2008 and later admitted taking cellphone photos of his private parts and showing them publicly, will take a shot at TV comedy. He'll host a pilot for a sports comedy talk show, says producer Mark McClure, called Inside Sports: News You Can Almost Trust. McClure says the hour-long show will be taped next month and, through a time buy, would air on Versus in January — then be shopped around to networks. The show, he says, "will be ESPN meets Comedy Central's Daily Show with some SNL skits, too. Sean will be our Jon Stewart."
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2010-10-20-tv-ratings-baseball-nfl_N.htm

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

He was bad but not historically bad.

11. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Not with the Vikings.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Joe Kapp still holds the record for TD passes in a game, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted