1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the worst assignment

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by henryhenry, Dec 28, 2006.

1. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

SMG interviews Eli Saslow. Is there anything more difficult than calling grieving survivors?

http://www.sportsmediaguide.com/12282006-EliSaslow.asp

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Two words: Special Olympics [/speakingfromexperience]

3. Sorry, FDP, Special Olympics doesn't compare. At least those participants are happy. As an AP staffer, I had to call parents whose sons were killed or MIA in the Gulf Wars. I'm still haunted by hearing fathers and mothers crying into the phone after I ID'd myself and before I'd ask the first question.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

My first job, while still in school, was to take faxed obits and confirm. Then type them up.
    (That was before doing horse agate in the evening).
    I would call the mortuary, give them our code and confirm death. If only family was listed on the fax, I would call the family. Not fun at 19 years old. I was a kid counseling people on some of their darkest days.
    (Some prank obits made their way into the paper.)

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Had no idea Saslow is a young kid. But he consistently writes great stuff in the Post. Every time I see a deep feature, his byline is there. I quickly became a fan.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

eli's a good, humble kid. nice to see. 8) 8) 8)

7. Garner

Garner Member

I did an internship once and my first assignment was a feature on the city's new weed inspector. It wasn't great, but I did learn a lot about noxious weeds.

8. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

i once tried to interview jim rice. can't be a worse assignment than that.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Damn near everything on SMG is good, ditto here. How extraordinarily refreshing to read about a 24-year-old who sees great stories in prepland and has no desire to talk into a microphone full-time someday.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yes -- calling a school's athletic director to tell him his coach is dead.

I had to do that twice, within a couple of years, when I was a young reporter.

I'll happily not do that again. Ever.

11. Keystone

Keystone Member

Calling a coach and telling him that one of his players was found dead by police of an apparent suicide. Didn't get anything out of him because he got choked up very quickly. Didn't blame him.

12. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Another one is trying to discuss the loved ones of a missing person. Also, working with people who have life-threatening illnesses.

Draft saved Draft deleted