1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The world's most stable and prosperous countries, of which we are not one

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

But hell, maybe Hitler had a thing for sheep.

2. I suspect there was very much a don't-get-the-joke moment up top there.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Ragu, have you been to Europe lately?

The cities of England, France, Germany, and Holland are teeming with immigrants themselves these days. Homogenous they no longer are. Yet each still finished well ahead of us in this little "poll."

And, btw, NYC ain't exactly the part of the U.S. that's struggling, at least nowhere near as much as the more homogenous upper midwest/rust belt region. I don't buy the excuse using diversity as a scapegoat for our problems.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I got the joke. Just hadn't weighed in on the thread until then.

Was as much a response to your earlier sarcastic (think you were trying to be sarcastic) comment asking how many people from those industrialized nations on that list are trying to get into the U.S...

They're not. But people from downtrodden countries are. The U.S. has always been open to immigrants. Luxembourg doesn't have that sort of reputation and it isn't a place you can go to to find a better life.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

That test isn’t fair. They only quizzed the leaders of countries.

Not exactly. But okay.

Sorry, Ragu. But this is rather false on its base premise. Those countries have scores of immigrants. They are also increasing.

6. The Big Ragu

Stoney, Every one of those countries you mentioned holds its nose and lets in Turks or Eastern Europeans, and then treats them like eighth class citizens. The xenophobia is unreal. They begrudgingly accept that they need foreigners to do the crummy jobs they don't want to do and those millions of foreigners, which they try to keep segregated to a degree, are vital to their economies. But are you really going to tell me with a straight face that England (more so than the others, but still), France, Germany or Holland are melting pots and that they offer the opportunities to immigrants--and their offspring--that places like New York, Chicago, LA, etc. do?

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

And yet, SOME OF US look to Europe as the model for everything. Not I.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

So the Vatican is the world's most prosperous country? So much for priests' vow of poverty.

And I find it interesting that seven of the Top 10 are tiny European principalities that you (or the mid-20th century German army) could drive through in a half-hour ...

9. The Big Ragu

No need to apologize. People have fled the former Eastern European countries for Western Europe because things were so bad in Eastern Europe following communism. And their lives have been slightly better in places like Germany, France, the Netherlands, etc. Those foreigners are not accepted, though, and are not treated particularly well. They certainly don't have delusions that they have come to a melting pot, where their offspring have the opportunity to have a better life. Attitudes are changing a bit and those countries are becoming more accepting. And I know I am speaking in generalities. But the day anyone who actually lives there or has emigrated there calls France a melting pot will be the day the beret is a normal-looking hat.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And is this really different from how the folks who come across the Rio Grande to work are regarded here?

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Not much different, but here we try to kick them out.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think it'd be cool as hell if Vatican City had an Olympic Team.

Draft saved Draft deleted