1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The words are there, but it's very awkward: Jemele Hill guests for Jim Rome

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Mar 24, 2008.

1. BRoth

BRoth Member

Every now and then I listen to Rome if I'm driving and there's no other decent sports talk on. The one (and only time) I have truly liked listening to the show was earlier this year when the Sklar Brothers filled in for him. They're funny and know enough sports to make it entertaining.

Like everyone else here, it's hard for me to watch his TV show. If anyone else is ever a guest host, it's a disaster.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

She makes more money in a year than you'll make in four, and is read by more people than you could ever hope to be. You're just jealous of her success.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Much more painful is seeing guest used as a verb.

4. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I'm a big fan of Jemele.

5. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Yeah, but it's only because I think her success is undeserved. I can think of 3-4 people on my beat alone that are better than she is.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You missed the point of my post, which wasn't directed at you anyway. I'm sure Mizzou got it, though.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

She probably only makes three times what I do... :D

8. The Sklar Brothers are funny?
    I missed that memo.

9. SheaSeals

SheaSeals Member

Jemele is a true talent. An excellent writer and a fine reporter. Have much respect for her work.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How do you feel about Scoop Jackson?

11. Mediator

Mediator Member

Why don't the other writers/chatters ESPN has hired for The Dot Com, The Mag, TV, The Armchair etc., get half the scrutiny Jemele Hill does?

Why is that? What could it be about her that makes her such a target? It's such a puzzle.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Gee, Mediator, I think it's because everyone is racist and sexist.

Anyone who has a meteoric rise like she has can expect scrutiny. Journalists do it to athletes, and we do it to each other.

Draft saved Draft deleted