1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Wire" season one question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Aug 6, 2008.

1. I'm still a relative show newbie - four episodes into season 2.

Wondering: Did they originally just plan a self-contained, one-season series? Because the first season really wraps up pretty neatly, and in the beginning of the second season, it really seems like they were struggling at first to get the Barksdale angle back up off the ground.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

No, they had all five seasons in mind from that start. All of the seasons take a couple of episodes to introduce the new storyline and characters. What seems like struggling now will all be significant in the end.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Each season stands alone while at the same time fitting into the overall narrative.

Keep watching.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Waiting for DVD release of final season, within the week . . . preordered . . . tick, tick, tick.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

yup. moved to the top of my netflix que.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Wire is all about institutional failure, and each season takes a look at a different institution. Season 2 takes a while to pick up, but it's fantastic at the end.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I'm waiting until they release the whole series in a giant box set. One of the advantages of picking the show up late -- I don't already own any of the season boxes.

And Waylon, like Zeke said: keep watching. All will become clear.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You and the mob.

I see a "verrrrrrry long wait" in your future.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I am going to buy it for that reason alone. I have 1-4 and have watched each of them at least twice.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I actually have just gotten into this show and just finished season two myself.

At first, I hated the union storyline and felt it was such a waste of time. I found myself begging to go back to Avon and Stringer and the towers.

By around episode six or seven, I forgot the towers even existed and was so compelled by Frank that I couldn't help but want the few glimpses of the whole Prop Joe/Stringer angle to go away.

I have season three at the top of my Netflix list and am going through withdrawal.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Bought Season One.

Nexflixed 2-3-4.

And am awaiting Season Five via Amazon.

We're set.

12. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Most of my wire watching friends hate season 2...I loved it, for the exact same reason. It gives the drug game such a bigger scope, while also beginning to re-create the city of B-More in the show. It's the first glimpses of the bigger picture.

Plus, when season 3 kicks in you'll be plugged right back into the Towers again...in a big way. And the fact that my man Slim Charles makes his debut doesn't hurt either.

Dammit I miss The Wire.

Draft saved Draft deleted