1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire: Episode 48

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MCEchan36, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Please and thanks in a 15 word post. If that's bitching I would love to know how you classify some of the other posts on this board.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Read the whole thread and you'll see what I'm talking about.

3. Boobie Miles

That was such a great, typically understated scene. I love how they NEVER go over the top. There was no great conversation along the lines of the diner scene in Heat. Just two guys living their lives and realizing that the other one really isn't that much different. But at the same time, Bodie's reaction after he left was perfect -- they are still very different.

I always like those types of scenes because obviously we get to see all the characters and start to root for some of the criminals, like Bodie, and I find myself forgetting that to McNulty's character all he is is some corner boy who he's crossed paths with a few times. It's very realistic. McNulty probably comes across dozens of the same type of people everyday so Bodie's not going to stand out to him like he obviously does to the viewer who get to know him much better. There have been other similar scenes, like in 3 when Herc thinks he saw Avon drive by but he doesn't think it is and we obviously know it is, and there was another one or two this season with either/or Sydnor and Carver and some of the dealers earlier this season. It's a small thing, but it just reinforces how realistic the show keeps things.

4. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

my observations:

Looks like the celing is about to fall on Herc. His chickens are coming home to roost. And I have to wonder how Rawls is going to play it with Daniels now that he's been shown the light by Valchek. He always seems to turn situations to his advantage, and I wouldn't bet against him.
    It almost seems that three of the kids' paths have already been determined; Namond's true colors are starting to shine through, and Michael has turned. I'm wondering about Duquan.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Why didn't Prez give up the vacants to Bunk and Lester?

6. Boobie Miles

Because Prez is a part of Marlo's crew and he's just a spy in the school to get info about the kids.

But seriously, I have no idea, that's a good question. I'm guess doubledown will have a good answer for you.

7. I think he was trying to protect Randy while also showing Bunk how pissed he was at them (mainly Herc) for fucking up the Randy situation.
    Also, he did tell them about the playground, which led Lester to the vacants. Maybe he figured Lester could put it all together, and he did.

8. Boobie Miles

Quick question more inner-city related than Wire specific but it still applies. I know they've done some with the boxing, but I know I've always been led to believe that basketball is king in innercities. You can call me unenlightened but I live very close to a major city and that is the truth there, so I was wondering if that's the same in B'More and Simon just decided not to have any of the kids play hoop or if it's not true and that there (and other innercities I guess too) most of the kids really are out on the corners and not playing basketball.

It may very well be that Simon doesn't see it fitting into a storyline or whatnot, but I was just curious as to others takes.

9. Boobie, we're just getting a tiny slice of life here. You can't show everything. We're seeing boxing because of Cutty Wise. Avon, Stringer and Wee-bey played hoops against each other in Season 1 when they put a bounty on Omar. Stringer and Prop Joe also had competing basketball teams in Season 1. We've seen hoops in this show. David Simon is not cliche. He's not going to do a remake of Above the Rim, Love and Basketball and all the other crap Hollywood churns out.

10. Boobie Miles

Forgot about some of those hoops scenes. And that's what I figured that Simon wasn't going to show something that is kind of cliched. I actually like the boxing stuff more because it's different. Just was wondering.

11. I heard/read something Simon said in an interview.
    He said that in the worst of inner cities, like the ones depicted in B'more, there is no or very little of what might be stereotypical urban culture.
    Corner boys don't/can't concern themselves with the latest in hip-hop music, fashion, etc., and sports are often an afterthought only.
    Very interesting point, to me.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Pure speculation, no spoiler, but Namond's only hope is that his bitchass mother gets killed. The only way he gets off the street and stays in school is if his momma stops pimping him out to the corners.

Draft saved Draft deleted