1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire: Episode 48

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MCEchan36, Nov 26, 2006.

1. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

ANYWAY... back to Episode 48. Was anyone else cheering the boys as they shamed Walker like their team just scored a last-second, game-winning touchdown? And how pathetic was the fish story he told at the station? I just wish McNulty threw a little mud on him then and there, too.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Stringer Bell is dead?

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Not a lot to dissect this episode, just more great television. You can feel everything rushing downhill, about to come to a head.

Some favorites snippets:

The scene where Albert told Bunny that his mom died yesterday -- and that his Mi-ma (grandmother) told him he should come to school anyway -- broke my heart. Watching this show sometimes make me want to rage and weep at the same time.

Omar walking into Prop Joe's store and telling him he wanted his clock fixed was awesome.

Anyone else slowly starting to like Namond? The scene with he and Bunny in the hall made me feel like he's got a chance, you know? If any of these kids ends up being ok, ends up getting out of the game, I'm wondering if maybe it might be Namond. It's funny how Namond and Randy were the ones with doubts about fucking with Officer Walker, but Dukie and Michael were the ones with no reservations.

Pimp steaks = hot dogs.

I knew Michael would stand tall with his boys. Seeing him crack that kid across the face with his backpack was sweet.

McNulty and Bodie sharing a meal, however briefly, felt like Ed Burns (who wrote this episode) was pointing out how similar they are. Both smart guys, both mid-level players in their respective worlds, both with an understanding that just because they're on different sides, doesn't mean they can't treat each other with a level of decency.

"Don't go making any furtive moves."
    "No doubt. Don't go breaking a pencil point."

Lester running Major Crimes? Fabulous. It truly is morning in Baltimore.

For now.

4. DD, no offense, but the things you point out seem less insightful when I know you've read spoilers. I know I accidently screwed up a couple of years ago and posted about stringer's death. That truly was a stupid accident that I regret. But, really, once you've read spoilers, you really should stand down.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm probably going to watch 49 sometime later today. I am kind of wondering how they are going to rap this all up in two episodes.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Saw 49 this morning and it was awesome.
    Best show on TV.
    Much thanks to Whitlock. It was his constant pimping which led me back to the show.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'll agree with this in principal, but let me clarify something. I did read about the spoiler we discussed privately, but no others. Other than what happens to that specific character, I don't know what happens to anyone else. I didn't even know how it happened until you mentioned it in your message. Lastly, seeing that spoiler is part of the reason I didn't offer any theories on 48, just bits and pieces of what I enjoyed from this episode. Prior to episode 48, I had never read a single spoiler, and I'm still pissed at myself that I stumbled across the one I did. Any insight or predictions I may have had about previous episodes prior to 48 was completely my own. You can believe that, or not believe it, if you choose. But it's the truth.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Exactly.

Christ.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Stand down.....

You're hilarious, Unfit-lock.

10. 48 was definitely a table-setter. Namond seems like a next-generation DeAngelo to me, I hope he doesn't suffer the same end.

The odd thing about this series is that guys like Walker always seem to keep doing their thing. The bad guys, the REALLY bad ones, always seem to find a way. Be interesting to see if he doesn't exact some comeuppance down the road.

49 is huge. And yes, HBO sucks for no teaser on the final ep. Next Monday can't come soon enough.

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Namond could only be DeAngelo if he were a competent drug dealer. Instead, he is a sensitive buffoon.

12. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

I wouldn't say he's a buffoon, but he is sensitive and his heart just isn't in the game. Odds are he gets capped in the finale, and I think we can all guess at who will be the trigger man.

Draft saved Draft deleted