1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Windy City

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, May 29, 2007.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Never heard of the celery salt on a hot dog thing but you do not put ketchup on a hot dog. In Chicago or anywhere else.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Don't know what week you'll be there, but June 8-10 your Schaumburg Flyers will host your Kansas City T-Bones. This would give you something to do if your wife wants to shop at Woodfield for the day.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

While I am horrified at Geno's selling out and going touristy they still do a great deep dish pizza if that's what you want, plus the kids can write on the walls. Giordano's is pretty good too.

I'd also like to echo 21's love for the Lincoln Park Zoo, and Lincoln Park in general. The Brookfield Zoo is considerably bigger but also a good time. The aquarium, Field Museum, planetarium and Museum of Science and Industry are also good for kids.

Night games at Comiskey are usually safer than day games. In Illinois it's a parole violation to be out after sundown so most Sox fans have to stay home.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I did like the Chicago River boat tour, a great way to continue seeing the city while finally taking a seat.

5. Sly

Sly Active Member

You don't put ketchup on a hot dog because it kills the flavor of a hot dog. The mustard, celery salt and relish draws and enhances the flavor out. Don't forget the sport peppers, either.

6. Sly

Sly Active Member

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I've never been to this place, but I've heard it's very good.

About hot dogs, I live in Illinois south of I-80. I absolutely love how Chicagoans think catsup is this satan-like food when put on a hot dog. I PUT CATSUP ON HOT DOGS SOMETIMES, AND I'M PROUD OF IT! Then I go to the local Chicago-style dog place and I get mustard, relish and a pickle.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you threw out the hot dog, that would be some good eatin'!

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Go to Buddy Guy's Legends for a blues show. I always try to go when I'm in town and have seen legendary Otis Rush and local guitar slinger Carlos Johnson on past trips. If you go during the week and have lunch at Buddy's place, there's always the chance he'll walk in and he'll talk to you like he was nice enough to do when I was there the last time. I did this when I was in town to see a Bears-Vikings game a few years ago and he was about to get inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

10. And the best part about the Lincoln Park Zoo? It's free! At least it was the last time I was there.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

For me, it's the opposite. I'll just have a cheeseburger next time I'm there, because I can't stand mustard or relish.

12. Rambler

Rambler Member

Spoken like a true Cubs fan. Hey, you have a big anniversary coming up--100 years of ineptitude. Congrats.

Draft saved Draft deleted