1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Windy City

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, May 29, 2007.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The adults would definitely prefer Portillo's, but I'm betting the kids like Ed Debevic's better.

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

If you're in Romeoville, you're not far from where Route 66 turns and goes south. It runs along Joliet Road, then is partly wiped out by I-55, then reappears in Joliet. But be careful of some of the neighborhood there. The area around Silver Cross Field is reasonably good.
    By the way, the Ryan (alongside Sox Park) is under construction and a holy nightmare. Get off I-55 (the Stevenson) and Damen, go south to 35th, then east to the ballpark.

3. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

On the north side of town, they have a great minor league baseball team. They play at a park called Wrigley Field.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Along Joliet Road (in Bolingbrook) is White Fence Farm, a humongous-ass fried chicken restaurant. Great, great food, lots of old-timey atmosphere, and the kids'll dig it. Dennis Hastert got fat at this place -- it was owned by his aunt for a long time.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No ketchup? That sounds un-American.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Putting ketchup on your hot dog can get you killed in Chicago. :)

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Exactly why is that? Just curious.

(And I'm glad no one noticed that I put ketchup on my hot dog at Wrigley.)

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Mustard, onions and relish with celery salt; that's a Chicago dog.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

A bastard dog? I don't know. But it does sound intriguing. I may have to try one, but not in Chicago. :)

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You might also want to hit the Art Institute, its kid friendly, and take a boat tour on the Chicago River, the kids will like the boat ride and you'll learn about the architecture and shit...

11. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

And trust me...

There's a lot of shit in the Chicago River.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I see Kane County and Joliet are both at home the week we'll be there. Both look like they have decent ballparks, good prices, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted