1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The wide world of anonymous sources - a discussion.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. As a "tipster," I guess I mean. You mean to tell me that parents on your beat didn't gossip with the media? From injuries to dissension in the ranks, there are always a couple of parents who have a pretty good pulse on the team.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Never met a parent - including me - who didn't have a significant bias.

3. Right, so you approach the conversations with a certain amount of skepticism, of course. No different than handling it with any other source.

4. Moderator1

I'm not knocking it - you need whatever help you can get for info. I just didn't go that route.

5. I'm sure it depends on the program, too.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

What about when it comes to college sports, when the assistant coaches tell you that they're preparing for a visit this coming weekend from the player ranked No. 1 in his high school class?

That's news (to me, and probably to most fans), and you won't be able to get it on the record because of NCAA guidelines.

So what do you do?

7. Moderator1

Go to the high school coach.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's exactly what I do with them.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  9. But what about scouts? No baseball scout I've run into wanted to be quoted by name. It was always, an American or National League scout said about Player X. Of course you have opinions from the manager, GM, player development, etc. I have never written a story with a scout's name in it.

10. Moderator1

Also not to be trusted and they hide behind that "can't use my name" shit.

Let's say they think Prince of Persia is a great prospect but they're shaky about that Mike311 guy. They'll tell you: "Man, we love that Mike311. A five-tool guy, for sure. I only hope he's there when we pick."

They're thinking some other scout is going to see that and go, hmmm, maybe we ought to check out this Mike 311. Well, you'd think the other scouts are smarter than that but who knows?

Still, a scout's motive is NOT to be trusted.

11. I can see why in that situation it can be a problem. But what about if a scout is giving his assessment on some particular pitchers in the league like "Zebra looks like he is fully recovered from rotator cuff surgery because he has that zip back on his fastball."? Or "Orville has one of the best curveballs in the league." Does a scout have some kind of agenda in those situations?

12. Moderator1

Not really - but why can't he use his name in that situation?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.