1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Whore of Akron

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So I get to page 50 or so and turn the page and I'm back on page 20. I get 30 pages of repeat and then it picks up on page 85. Amazon is sending me another and I have to send this one. Pain in the ass. But I'm enjoying the book.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I have to agree, Moddy, that the book was enjoyable.

This is a stretch, I know, but the feel of this guy's work was a little bit like Holden Caulfield. It's so hard to relate to the way he looks at some things, you just allow yourself to look at it from a detached angle.

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

And the detached cosmopolitan airs of people who care about so few things passionately in this life confuse me.

Raab makes no bones about his real priorities by the end of his book when he details his son's illness.

There's something beautiful in mania. I'll say personally, my obsessions probably kept me alive during hard times. When there's nothing else in life, we can create meaning in things that aren't particularly meaningful. Something to get us out of bed until life turns to a point where something actually meaningful comes about.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You have the perfect copy of the book. Reliving the same thing over and over, just like Cleveland sports fans!

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not anymore. I sent it back.

Draft saved Draft deleted