1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Whore of Akron

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 26, 2011.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

http://www.amazon.com/Whore-Akron-Search-LeBron-James/dp/0062066366/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324910877&sr=8-1

anyone read it?
    anyone ask BronBron what he thinks? (Trick question, BronBron is incapable of thought)

“As far as I know, a LeBron James is a hat worn by men in the 1920s.” (Philip Roth )

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm halfway through it. Enjoying it very much. You have to realize, before you read it, that it's essentially a memoir, kind of like Exley's "A Fan's Notes."

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Haven't read it yet but Raab'z bitterness toward Lebron is frequently referenced in Esquire. Funny stuff..

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm buying it first chance I get, which is to say when I have disposable income again. :D

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Maybe Raab pissed off James' mother

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

In Raab's monthly Q&A in Esquire, one of the staple questions is usually something like, "Shouldn't LeBron James be shot for leaving the Cavaliers?"

Considering the A-list people he's usually interviewing, it's pretty funny, or at least I find it funny.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Part of me wants to read it just for the voyeurism, the other part can't stand Raab's promotional tactics and doesn't want to support that kind of bullshit.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

gothefucktothelibrary [/crossthread]

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I thought it was a potato chip book. I read it, enjoyed it and realized at the end that it was pretty meaningless.

I bought it because I follow the Cavs and was hoping for a behind the scenes look at LeBron and the whole decision to leave- at least from the organization's perspective. I never really got that. There is not very much original reporting in this book so Raab pads the book with stories about himself. Raab is very engaging but do you really need to know so much about his wife giving him hand jobs and his weight problems?

And Raab spends all this time talking about LeBron leaving "noble" Cleveland behind. But Raab, who grew up in Cleveland, never says why he lives in New Jersey. Does his Esquire job require it? I doubt it.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure why people seem upset that "the book isn't what I thought it would be."

If you bought A Fan's Notes expecting an insider's look at Frank Gifford and the Giants, and instead were befuddled by stories of Exley falling down drunk and bouncing in and out of mental institutions, that's kind of on you.

I've never once seen the book marketed as anything other than what it is -- the sad, angry, but beautiful wail of one of Cleveland's great writers.

As for the "Why doesn't Raab live in Cleveland?" thing, he's addressed that numerous times. It's sort of ridiculous to imply the two are similar, frankly.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Lebron is the only player to ever leave a team for another.....

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Raab's LeBron questions to Chris Rock for an Esquire interview (which he revisits) provide the perfect counter-point to all his LeBron tsuris. It's pretty brilliant, as usual, by Rock.

This is a very good book.

Here's the extended interview Raab puts in the book. A thinner version was in the mag.

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/lebron-james/chris-rock-lebron-james-0311

Draft saved Draft deleted